4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Fuel sender PN for non-VM1000 DA40?

Post by BlackMammoth »

Our VM1000 is finally dying (screen failing on left side). I am hopeful we will be able to replace it a Garmin GI275 engine monitor however Garmin doesn't support the VM1000 fuel level senders.

Does anyone have the correct part # for the later DA40 resistance senders?

Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Fuel sender PN for non-VM1000 DA40?

Post by Steve »

Phil:

Not to answer the question you asked, but if your current fuel senders still work, a cheaper solution may be to:

1) Obtain a working VM1000 display unit (there are still a few available from parts suppliers and on eBay occasionally). I Picked up a spare one (and other components of the VM1000 system) a few years ago, anticipating that when Vision Microsystems was acquired by JPI, support for these units would not last long, or;

2) Contact this fellow:

https://vmsupport.weebly.com

He does all sorts of repairs on Vision Microsystems components. He repeatedly states that his services are for Experimental aircraft only, and that he is not an FAA certified avionics repair station, but he does good work. I had him replace a bad backlight on my unit and it works beautifully. However, while it was being repaired, I found a certified display, which I installed. My A&P/IA said that he would have no problem certifying the airworthiness of the repaired unit.

3) As a last resort, you could contact JPI, and see if they could help you out.

Good luck!
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Post by BlackMammoth »

We did contact him when the backlight was failing a couple years ago... based on parts availability at the time we had JPI replace the backlight.

Now the LCD itself is failing and JPI does not have any for repairs... I am hesitant to continue trying to support this platform even if we could put it on life support for a bit longer.

Edit: Just noticed that you listed could be the "cheaper option" - No doubt that is correct :)
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

The fellow I mentioned can repair the LCD displays as well as the backlights. He has examples of his repairs:

https://vmsupport.weebly.com/--before-a ... pairs.html

I actually like the VM1000 - its only major drawback (other than the fact that it is an orphan product) is the inability to easily export data for later analysis. Although the GoPro I have in the cockpit does have the VM1000 display in frame, and I have been able to retrieve some data in that manner, although it can be cumbersome...

You probably have already researched the compatibility of the GI 275 with your other sensors: CHT, EGT, oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, fuel flow, and manifold pressure. If some of these have to be replaced as well, it would add significantly to the cost.