1 Diamond Member
First Name: Glen
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N274DS
Airports: KCDW

Seat cushion options

Post by gdevries »

Hi all!

Seems to be a topic spread out in a couple older threads, but would love to hear people's experience with various DA40 seat cushion options. My girlfriend is going to get her PPL (training in a C172), and although she loves the Diamond, she really needs to get her eyes higher over the panel. She's 5'1", I'm 6'2"; we're basically bookends around what is probably comfortable in regards to flying it!

Was wondering if there's anyone in her hight range -- or who flys with someone who is -- and if you have any suggestions, recommendations, etc. in regards to seat cushions?
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Seat cushion options

Post by Colin »

My wife is 5'3" and really liked when I got an Oregon Aero seat cushion for her. I think it was the maximum depth they do, 3"?

It has stood up really well over time. So have the two I got for the back seats for our boys. They have outgrown them, but I seem to get a lot of shorter passengers and they are always appreciated.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Been using these cushions in my DA40 for years... prevents the dreaded Diamond sore butt problem nicely...
screenshot8.png
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

I second the Oregon Aero cushions. I am 5'9+" and use the 1" with standard lumbar support. My wife (not a pilot) is 5' and uses the 2". They also have a 1/2" but will make to a custom thickness if you ask. Great company. 5 years and would purchase again in a heartbeat. My daughter doesn't like the lumbar cushion but it unzips off in a sec.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Diamond_Dan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:40 pm I second the Oregon Aero cushions. I am 5'9+" and use the 1" with standard lumbar support. My wife (not a pilot) is 5' and uses the 2". They also have a 1/2" but will make to a custom thickness if you ask. Great company. 5 years and would purchase again in a heartbeat. My daughter doesn't like the lumbar cushion but it unzips off in a sec.
I've been riding on an Oregon Aero 1" (no backrest) for years to give me a slightly better forward view (I'm also 5'9"+ with long legs). As it happens I just (and I do mean just - should arrive today) ordered an Oregon Aero 2" with backrest for my 5' wife. She's been using a general-purpose 3" cushion for awhile now but it's a bit too much. Both the OA cushions have the center stick cutouts.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
gdevries
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Glen
Aircraft Registration: N274DS
Airports: KCDW

Post by gdevries »

This is terrific -- thank you. Will give the Oregon Aero a try for her (the Aylin looks great Wayne, but think she needs the lumbar too) and report back!
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Wayne, do you use the Aylio cushion with the cutout in the back as intended, or do you need to use it backwards for the stick to be in the cutout? Also, does it actually add an height, or does it mostly squish once you sit on it? Thanks.
Steve
DA40 XL
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

smoss wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:28 pm Wayne, do you use the Aylio cushion with the cutout in the back as intended, or do you need to use it backwards for the stick to be in the cutout? Also, does it actually add an height, or does it mostly squish once you sit on it? Thanks.
Steve, I use the cushions as intended... with the coccyx hole toward the rear. There's sufficient clearance in the front for DA40 stick travel. The Aylio might add, once compressed, a half-inch or so to height.

I realize that these Aylio cushions are much much cheaper than the Oregons... but they've worked just fine for me and my px (>5 years, ~400 hours/year, most flights ~3 hours) to solve the Diamond sore-butt issue... however they don't of course help with lumbar. I might suggest buying one of the Aylios... if that works, cool; if not, go for the Oregons.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I received that new seat for my wife and it'll be great. But it appears OA has changed the design somewhat, or this thicker pilot slot seat always had a different design. The change is it's wider, covering the entire seat. This introduced a new challenge in managing the control box for her ANR headset. I MacGyver'd a solution, though. I'll try to remember to take a picture and post tomorrow. And yes, Velcro is involved. :D
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
TomJ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: TomJ
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1169N
Airports: KGTU

Post by TomJ »

gdevries wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:33 pm Hi all!

Seems to be a topic spread out in a couple older threads, but would love to hear people's experience with various DA40 seat cushion options. My girlfriend is going to get her PPL (training in a C172), and although she loves the Diamond, she really needs to get her eyes higher over the panel. She's 5'1", I'm 6'2"; we're basically bookends around what is probably comfortable in regards to flying it!

Was wondering if there's anyone in her hight range -- or who flys with someone who is -- and if you have any suggestions, recommendations, etc. in regards to seat cushions?
I sold my DA40 (to someone on this forum) a few months ago, but kept the custom made seat cushions my wife and I had used for several years. They were perfect for us. My wife and I are both pilots, both 5' 6" and would fly interchangeably from the right or left seats. With these cushions we could see nicely over the cowling. As you can see they are thick, but usable by anyone about 5' 10" tall.
IMG_1549.JPG
They are left-right mirror images. One of their little bonuses is that there is a gap between the airplane's outer wall and the cushion, which is really convenient for keeping your phone, iPad, knee-pad and such.

They were a bit spendy but really, one of the best investments we made for our flying comfort and situational awareness on the ground.

Sadly, I no longer need them. I can't offer them for sale here - that's against the forum rules - but if anyone is interested in knowing more you can PM me.