3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Flaps not moving to T/O position

Post by dwurfel »

Originally my flaps would move to the TO position but the indicator light would not come on. Now the flaps will not move to the TO position and I have to move the flap switch to Landing position and stop when the TO position lights up. I have read a few strings that would tell me it is the microswitches. In any case any advice or help would be extremely appreciated. :bow
mrusk
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Martin
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: DEMLK
Airports: EDFM

Re: Flaps not moving to T/O position

Post by mrusk »

Yes, that seem to be the micro switches. Very funny behaviour is possible, in our DA40 you could "convince" the indicator light to come up by turning the panel illumination poti. Only then you could retract the flaps to T/O. Change them all at once - we had to do our's in two terms.
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dwurfel »

We just changed the micros out over the weekend. Tedious job. It worked. The only hard part was getting the rear seat back in. Geezle! Thenaks to everyone for their advice.
p3dave
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N321CK
Airports: 82J

Post by p3dave »

Just curious, where did you get the microswitches? Did they come from Diamond or are they a common item? Many years ago I took a pitch trim switch apart because it wasn't working and all the avionics shops said that it could only be replaced, not repaired. Inside were two microswitches that had a number on them that I was able to look up and order from an electronic supply firm. As I recall, they were each maybe $15 as opposed to the replacement trim switch that was over $1,000.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Dave:

Search function on this forum is your friend:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7366&p=86148&hilit= ... tch#p86148

Steve
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dwurfel »

Newark.com Same switch. Not exactly fun to install. My solder skills has gotten better.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

p3dave wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:01 pm Just curious, where did you get the microswitches? Did they come from Diamond or are they a common item? Many years ago I took a pitch trim switch apart because it wasn't working and all the avionics shops said that it could only be replaced, not repaired. Inside were two microswitches that had a number on them that I was able to look up and order from an electronic supply firm. As I recall, they were each maybe $15 as opposed to the replacement trim switch that was over $1,000.
Hi Dave,
Do you recall the pitch trim microswitch part number? I have an intermittent trim switch. Also, when I tried removing the switch from the center stick, there was a lot of tension in the wiring harness from below. How did you remove the pitch trim switch assembly? Thanks
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

dmloftus wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:29 pm
p3dave wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:01 pm Just curious, where did you get the microswitches? Did they come from Diamond or are they a common item? Many years ago I took a pitch trim switch apart because it wasn't working and all the avionics shops said that it could only be replaced, not repaired. Inside were two microswitches that had a number on them that I was able to look up and order from an electronic supply firm. As I recall, they were each maybe $15 as opposed to the replacement trim switch that was over $1,000.
Hi Dave,
Do you recall the pitch trim microswitch part number? I have an intermittent trim switch. Also, when I tried removing the switch from the center stick, there was a lot of tension in the wiring harness from below. How did you remove the pitch trim switch assembly? Thanks
David:

I don't now the PN for the microswitch, but I can give you a method which will help get you some slack. The wiring from the various stick switches (PTT, trim, AP disconnect) run down inside the control stick and exit through grommets. A short distance after exiting the control stick there are connectors, which can be unhooked, and that, along with cutting a few Ty-Wraps will get you enough slack in the wiring so that the switches can be moved out to work on them. You have to remove the seat to get access to the connectors - the last time I did this was about 5 years ago - to replace an AP disconnect switch.
Zoom in to see control stick switch connectors
Zoom in to see control stick switch connectors
Steve