5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: Ipad Mini Mount Recommendations for DA 40

Post by ememic99 »

danno2000 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:57 am
ememic99 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:57 pm How can you fly approach with plates on your knee? How do you cross check distances and altitudes? How can you switch view down to plates and back to instruments and then outside approaching minima and all that at least few times during the approach?
Not ever having had another option, I think it’s likely that I do all the cross checks when briefing the approach and then don’t cross check as many times during the approach as I might if the approach plate were at eye level. Maybe I wouldn’t have to commit as many things like minima and missed approach procedures largely to memory as well.

In my experience you just get used to doing whatever you have to do in your particular plane. Flying more advanced planes can then be very eye opening.

best,
dan
I've flown dozens of approaches to ILS minima (depending on the airports ranging from 200 to 500 feet) both hand-flying and on autopilot and in no way I would've been able to look up and down during the approach to cross-check values on plates and follow instruments. Actually in no way I would be able during (especially hand) flying the approach to take my eyes from the level of instruments - plates at the same level, looking outside just a bit above. Maybe some people are more capable but I observed similar behavior in CAT crews - no one looks up and down or around - focus is on instruments and plates in one view and outside approaching minima (shared roles in two pilot crews).
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

The movement of your head from looking down to looking at the horizon makes spatial disorientation worse.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Post by danno2000 »

I appreciate all of you taking the time to reveal a safety issue with how I was trained. Not knowing what you don’t know is always hard, and all of you have far more experience than I do.

safe travels,
dan
Johnrschaefer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N669PS
Airports: KJYO

Post by Johnrschaefer »

ememic99 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:57 pm
Johnrschaefer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:16 pm I use an iPad mini for approach plates, but I don't use a mount. The iPad simply rests on my leg (or is clamped onto a kneeboard), or is stowed beside me in the pilot seat or in the "map pocket" in front of the seat when not in use.
How can you fly approach with plates on your knee? How do you cross check distances and altitudes? How can you switch view down to plates and back to instruments and then outside approaching minima and all that at least few times during the approach?
Pretty much the same way as I've done with paper plates on a kneeboard, since I got my instrument rating in 1995, except now with an iPad ...
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Johnrschaefer wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:13 am
ememic99 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:57 pm
Johnrschaefer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:16 pm I use an iPad mini for approach plates, but I don't use a mount. The iPad simply rests on my leg (or is clamped onto a kneeboard), or is stowed beside me in the pilot seat or in the "map pocket" in front of the seat when not in use.
How can you fly approach with plates on your knee? How do you cross check distances and altitudes? How can you switch view down to plates and back to instruments and then outside approaching minima and all that at least few times during the approach?
Pretty much the same way as I've done with paper plates on a kneeboard, since I got my instrument rating in 1995, except now with an iPad ...
:D 1995 you were 26 years younger - your eyes could adapt in milliseconds when changing focus and you didn’t have to tilt your head.

I guess that since then you’ve hand-flown quite a few approaches in IMC to minima. It takes skills and fast eye accommodation to switch between three different views with three different focal distances, flying and handling the communication at the same time. I prefer to have views lined up within same glance - that leaves more capacity for other cockpit work.
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

The parts list for the tablet mount I use in my DA40 is as follows:

Ram Mount RAM-HOL-TAB29U Tab-Tite Spring Loaded Holder for 8” Tablets with Cases
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016W ... UTF8&psc=1

Ram Mount RAM-B-177U Double Ball Glare Shield Clamp mount – connected to the glare shield
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036 ... UTF8&psc=1

Adhesive cord holders
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FT ... UTF8&psc=1

iPhone charging cable 3pack – the 6 ft one is used
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N9 ... =UTF8&th=1

The 6-ft USB charging cable allows the canopy to be opened and closed with power attached without having to remove the tablet from the holder. The tablet doesn’t block the view of any part of the G1000 – only the pilot side air vent.

Up to a few weeks ago, I used Garmin Pilot running on an Android Nexus7 and just recently converted to Garmin Pilot on an iPad Mini. The only change I’d make now that I have converted to an iPad mini is to replace the solid-back spring-loaded tablet holder listed above with a RAM X-grip for better cooling.

Hope this helps.

Front view
Front view
Glare shield mount
Glare shield mount
003-glare shield mount 2.jpg
Canopy open
Canopy open
USB power
USB power
007-power 3.jpg
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I'll just throw out what I actually used when I was in the situation of having to install/remove my tablet mount for each flight. I mounted it on the stick, using RAM yoke mount hardware - in recent years using the RAM "Claw" attachment. I did this over a decade for (in chronological order): a Motion Computing LS800, Garmin Aera 695, 795 and several generations of iPad minis. It's not for everyone, but worked great for me. It's a more solid mount than suction cups and leaves no marks on anything.

This approach became unworkable with the transition to the Pro 11 and especially so now that I need the iPad to be accessed from both front seats. Thankfully I can leave the Pro 11 mount hardware in place all the time, as it is not an easy install/remove.

In case it's not obvious I've come to collect a rather absurd array of RAM mounting hardware over the years, including mounting GPS' (yes, multiple models) to my motorcycles. To say nothing of the myriad USB cables with different combinations of plug style combinations. The great news in this last area is if you can conceive of a USB cable termination configuration, somebody manufactures it. :thumbsup:

BTW, unlike the previous generations the mini-6 does NOT use a lightning connector, but a USB-C.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Post by Derek »

Thanks for these pics and info, looks great. Would the glare shield mount work for a larger iPad? I have an iPad 11 that I’ve been mounting with a suction cup but I can’t take it anymore. It can fall off in turbulence or more extreme cold. Too unreliable. I own the plane so it can be a permanent mount but technology changes so I’d like to avoid putting screw holes in various places in case things change. I’m not keen about mounting to the stick but open to trying it if there’s no better options. I have an 03 with 530/430 waas. Advice would be appreciated!
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Derek wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:36 pm Thanks for these pics and info, looks great. Would the glare shield mount work for a larger iPad? I have an iPad 11 that I’ve been mounting with a suction cup but I can’t take it anymore. It can fall off in turbulence or more extreme cold. Too unreliable. I own the plane so it can be a permanent mount but technology changes so I’d like to avoid putting screw holes in various places in case things change. I’m not keen about mounting to the stick but open to trying it if there’s no better options. I have an 03 with 530/430 waas. Advice would be appreciated!
Mine leverages the existing front seat mount bolts as the anchor point for my Pro 11 mount. That anchor bracket is 1" aluminum channel.
iPad Mounting Bracket.jpg
Then I played around with different stalk hardware and clamp stuff from RAM. Here's one iteration:
iPad Pro 11 mount.jpg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

This is a recurring topic for sure. I offer a solution in another discussion. I built this for the 11 inch ipad. But I tried it with my phone and it was great. Check out my prior post. Here is a photo:
download/file.php?id=6239&mode=view