5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: TDI upgrade to DA42-VI!

Post by Antoine »

wolfipilot wrote: Unfortunately, according to my latest information, Diamond has more or less stopped the conversion by making the pricing model uninteresting, but I don’t have the exact figures.
Ingo did you pay less than 260'000 € I have been quoted only weeks ago (including GFC700) ?
(PM bitte)
wolfipilot
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingo
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N943PA
Airports: EDFE

Post by wolfipilot »

GLDAS wrote:There is a ton of labor involved in the TDi -> -VI conversion, though I don't remember the exact figure. So the cost of doing these conversions now, aggravated by the unavailability of the 1999 KG MTOW for converted airframes, just doesn't make sense for me now. You will wind up with an airframe carrying a 2006 or 2007 serial number and lower MTOW versus new production which costs <$150,000 more, has warranty, and is a 2015 serial number. The numbers just don't work.

What we are doing is 2.0 conversions now. The 2.0 is a good, reliable, well-supported product. A <$400,000 2.0 with new engines, props, and warranty on both is a solid airplane. Yes, it is slower than the -VI and lacks GFC700/WAAS. So let's say it's 80% of a -VI at well less than half the price. There is value there and a much larger pool of potential buyers.
-dan
Dan, you are describing the regular path of a conversion - which we did not follow. We hadn't have the old frame and thus did not simply order the conversion but purchased the already completely converted -vi from Diamond. This means THEY had the airframe on stock, did the conversion and sold the aircraft to us, not the conversion. Yes, the serial is from somewhat in the past which doesn't bother me since the a/c is sold with full warranty according to Austrian law. We have the GWX86, SVT, GFC700, sun visors, electric pedals etc. in a -vi for a price which is - overall perspective - most probably well below your 2.0 conversion (taking into account that you have bought the DA42 in the past, too).

But as mentioned in my last post: AFAIK Diamond isn't offering this approach any longer for clear reasons.
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrik
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports:

Post by Henrik »

Antoine, you could try checking with Diamond & see if they'd offer the same own-stock TDI to -VI conversion as Ingo's.

Looks like they've got 2 additional airframes for sale: http://www.diamond-air.at/pre-owned-aircraft.html - I'm sure they'd be interested in clearing their stock.

Btw, congratulations Ingo - the DA42-VI is indeed a hell of an airplane... :thumbsup:
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

The funny thing is, Diamond Austria is doing just about everything they can to discourage sales of Diamond product. Nothing blatantly overt, but a just a whole series of suggestive cues that all tend to somewhat discourage sales. Dries anti gas combustion comments (confirmed), lack of and slow to respond Garmin avionics upgrades (confirmed), general perception of early model 42 owner abandonment all tend to paint a not so rosy picture. Perception is reality.
It's to bad. Diamond has one hands down beautiful product in every sense of the word.
Diamond is doing well, however, they could be doing a whole lot better with little effort. No other manufacturer out there has a product that compares to Diamond's. No one.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Tommy wrote:The funny thing is, Diamond Austria is doing just about everything they can to discourage sales of Diamond product. Nothing blatantly overt, but a just a whole series of suggestive cues that all tend to somewhat discourage sales. Dries anti gas combustion comments (confirmed), lack of and slow to respond Garmin avionics upgrades (confirmed), general perception of early model 42 owner abandonment all tend to paint a not so rosy picture. Perception is reality.
It's to bad. Diamond has one hands down beautiful product in every sense of the word.
Diamond is doing well, however, they could be doing a whole lot better with little effort. No other manufacturer out there has a product that compares to Diamond's. No one.
Some comments on your 3 points:
1. The sad reality is that 100LL avgas has become a boutique fuel, either unaffordable or unavailable outside of North America. Even Cessna is starting to migrate to diesels. As a global aircraft supplier, it's hard to fault Diamond for favoring diesel engines going forward.
2. Diamond is now ahead of other GA manufacturers in offering the latest G1000 upgrades from Garmin for their current line of aircraft. For example, GDU Version 14 for DA42s supports transponder-based ADS-B Out, the newest Garmin solid-state radar, WAAS LP approaches, etc. Based on last year's experience, I expect this version will soon be available for Lycoming DA40s. It's not Diamond's fault that Garmin's latest G1000 software won't run on older DA40s/DA42s without WAAS -- that's due to Garmin.
3. I agree that early DA42 owners got screwed by the Thielert bankruptcy, but Diamond could not have made every owner "whole" by giving them a free upgrade to Austro engines without bankrupting Diamond in the process. Diamond made it through the 2009 global recession only by selling DA42 MPP aircraft; it's not clear they could have survived had they subsidized large numbers of DA42 engine upgrades.

As owners we're all disappointed by lack of backwards compatibility: Early DA40/DA42 owners are faced with $20-30K+ upgrade costs to implement WAAS because Garmin's previous G1000 GIA design couldn't accommodate last-minute changes to the FAA standard. Early DA42 owners (and Diamond) obviously didn't count on Thielert going bankrupt. I'm disappointed that my relatively-new DA42-VI can't be upgraded to meet EASA's 10G drop test with a 100 kg weight increase; my plane's older GFC700 autopilot servos won't support ESP like the newest DA42s. Want the newest features? Buy a new aircraft like many Cirrus owners do.

For a manufacturer "doing everything they can to discourage sales of Diamond products," Diamond Austria still seems to be doing something right: factory production is still sold out for months, and the DA42 is the world's best-selling piston twin outselling Beech and Piper.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Dave

I appreciate your insight, accurate info and honesty about the 2000 Kg MTOW issue.

While you are absolutely right in your assessment of the points above, there is one element which I think we CAN blame Diamond for. I call it product cycle management.

Cirrus have this one right. They do not release a new "generation" once a year but rather with a 3-4 year rythm.

Diamond make the NG, then the -VI, then the "2'000 Kg -VI". This "once a year" cycle is a disaster for customer satisfaction.

And while you are correct about AVGAS availability, I personally believe that the DA40-180 is still and by a wide margin the best DA40 around. I bought mine in 2009 and would buy the same engine today...
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

CFIDave wrote:It's not Diamond's fault that Garmin's latest G1000 software won't run on older DA40s/DA42s without WAAS -- that's due to Garmin.
Can't argue with that, but it doesn't explain why Diamond haven't produced any G1000 software updates for the DA40TDI since 2006. I understand the arguments about them not helping their customers out financially, when Thielert went under, but they didn't have to completely abandon us.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

100LL will be going away and it will be replaced more than likely with a drop in fuel from Shell.
Gasoline engines are not going to disappear when the lead does, there is a replacement on the way.
Diesel's have yet to come close in replacing avgas engines and literally have very little support through-out the states the way gasoline engines do. In addition, I have not seen nor do I expect diesel growth or its support to gain any traction in North America at least in my life time. It's just not happening here the way it is over on the other side of the world.
No matter how you cut it, perception is reality, the reality is that there are a considerable number of people on this forum whom it would be safe to say are not exactly ecstatic with Diamond in general as expressed in their posts and that they probably represent a fair cross section of Diamond owners in general.
Again, don't get me wrong, Diamond does have a superior product, there's no questioning that. What Diamond does lack is the people skills required to maintain its existing customer base and expand upon it while acquiring new customers through the use of existing customers.
Diamond needs to take a page out of Harley Davidson's play book. They have the product they just don't know how to market it.