2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingo
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N943PA
Airports: EDFE

Re: ?ECU failure

Post by wolfipilot »

Dave, thanks for your input here as well! Indeed, a single ECU fail message doesn't make me that nervous since I agree that this can be everything incl. a false indication, but the total number of 6 fails in only 100 hours is too much. We are in close contact with both, Diamond (we are based in Egelsbach) and Austro Engine, but the answers truly do not speak a language of proper customer care. Additionally the fact that both ECUs are delivering 'fail-messages' from time to time doesn't make it better.

I will keep you updated.
Henrik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Henrik
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports:

Post by Henrik »

Ingo, are you getting ECU fails on *both* engines, or merely both ECU's on the same engine?

If the former, check that you're not in icing conditions. Otherwise use alternate air, as I believe induction icing can indeed cause ECU failure at times.

Like Dave, I don't get ECU fails either. So far only once in 260 hrs, on the left engine on my -VI, and that one was directly attributable to fuel contamination in the left main tank.

You definitely need Austro/Diamond to sort this one out. I'd agree that there's a tendency for the manufacturer to rely solely on ECU logs to determine root failure causes. ECU logs can only tell you so much. And if the data is inconclusive, what do you do...
wolfipilot
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by wolfipilot »

Henrik wrote:Ingo, are you getting ECU fails on *both* engines, or merely both ECU's on the same engine?
@Henrik: the first, on both engines.
Henrik wrote:Like Dave, I don't get ECU fails either. So far only once in 260 hrs, on the left engine on my -VI, and that one was directly attributable to fuel contamination in the left main tank.
My partner checked w/ different -vi and NG-owners/operators over the last days, interesting to see that most of them have ECU-issues similar to ours, some of them even have massive problems which they are simply ignoring in the meantime, taking off even w/ both 'ECU fails' indicating in the G1000.

And yes, we are no checking all the details w/ AE and Diamond.

Thanks so much for all your answers!
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

Just wanted to chime in on my -VI. I got a single ecu fail message on a training flight just after taking delivery of my plane last year. It happened when the instructor quickly pulled power to one engine to simulate an engine failure. Have not had any recurrence now in over a year. *knock on wood*
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

I understand why you are tempted to ignore these failures, but as you saw in one of my previous posts in this thread that I had a real ECU failure and had to replace the ECU. Because you are not given the information as to why the G1000 gave you the ECU failure, it is dangerous to assume that it is not real. What if you had a real ECU failure (A or B) and then the other ECU went out? So, this is just a word of concern from me, please don't get complacent when you get an ECU failure message. Stay sharp and be prepared for an engine shut down.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
SimonH
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Simon
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: G-SSCA
Airports: EGSX

Post by SimonH »

Hi Ingo. just over 100 hours on my -vi and no ecu failures.....yet!
I certainly would not be comfortable flying in IMC with such a failure being annunciated.
I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Cheers
Simon
wolfipilot
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by wolfipilot »

Short update on the situation: we are in the lucky situation to have Diamond next to our homebase hangar, just 50 meters away, so we are in very close contact. Initially it was said that ECU fail-messages are pretty normal, nothing to be concerned about, which was a strange discussion obviously. We listened to many arguments and background information, however, the feeling was pretty uncomfortable of course. My issue was that I was about to fly with my g/f and their parents the other day so I definitely asked if this flight is safe which was clearly acknowledged by Diamond.

My partner however insisted in additional research and got in contact to Austro Engines and these guys asked for further engine data read-outs. Finally they said that the fuel pressure of the low pressure fuel pump (i) is decreasing from ~ 4bar to ~ 3bar all of a sudden, and (ii) the fuel pressure oscillates significantly, all of this on both sides which of course doesn't fit together with the ECU-fail indication only being active on the one OR the other side. This made Diamond to reverse their 'safe flight' acknowledgement by 180 degrees by officially grounding the plane. So I changed my plans for the extended weekend with my family and drove by car to another destination - being upset no too less.

Yesterday evening we were told that the fuel system was fully cleaned; the reason now (other than the former wastegate assumption) a defect of the valve that releases any overdoses of fuel from the reserve which is fed by the low-pressure pumps and feeds the high-pressure pumps. Well ...

For today several testflights are planned to be carried out. Let's wait and see.