3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Jeppesen Chartview to Flitecharts

Post by N503TS »

Has anyone ever gone back from Jeppesen Chartview to the Garmin Flitecharts? My aircraft came with the Jeppesen Chartview but I don't ever use the Geo-referenced charts on approaches so I just want the less expensive Garmin Flitecharts. The iPad is too slow and I don't want to use that if I don't have to (that's what my checklist is on also) so I need to remove the Jeppesen Chartview feature. I can only find upload instructions but not removal ones.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Jeppesen Chartview to Flitecharts

Post by CFIDave »

If you're comfortable with the G1000 software update/configuration/installation menus, you might be able to use the software unlock card for Chartview -- which should have come with your plane -- to remove Chartview (which would then cause the G1000 to revert to Flitecharts).

Otherwise you might have to have a Garmin tech perform a complete reinstall of your G1000 software to get rid of Chartview.

Personally I'd buy a newer faster iPad and use Foreflight's approach charts. I prefer to use the MFD screen for display of my GPS flight plan, waypoints, and altitudes when flying approaches, consulting the iPad only for looking up minimums and briefing the missed approach.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by N503TS »

Dave,
I'm hoping I don't have to do a complete reinstall just to shift to the Garmin charts. I'm comfortable with the config pages but I never saw the page that just turns off the Jeppesen charts. If it's not there in the base pages then I would have to go to a Garmin shop in case they need to download the whole original software update.

On Colin's recommendation I had Glenn Lawler put in a USB port for the iPad but I still want the charts on the G1000 as they are more reliable than any iPad and will not kill your night vision like the iPad can at night ( the g1000 reverts to black background at night). I use the iPad for backup but it can be very slow to load and shut off at no notice.

Phil
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Phil:
I'm pretty sure there's no way to just boot the G1000 into regular maintenance mode and find a configuration option that will turn off the Jepp charts.

Instead, I'm suggesting you need to find your Jepp Chartview software unlock card (that should have come with your airplane because it's locked to your G1000 serial number) and boot into maintenance mode with that card inserted into the PFD top slot. That's how Chartview was originally enabled in your plane, so I'm guessing that this might expose a menu option to remove Jepp Chartview.

Here's a DA40 G1000 manual that describes (see section 3.5.10) how to boot into maintenance mode with software unlock cards like those for ChartView (the DA42 G1000 works the same way):
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/190-00545-01.pdf
Instead of selecting "Enable ChartView" there might be a "Disable ChartView" option you can select. (Again, I'm just guessing, but this should be easy to try).

Otherwise I'm afraid you may have no other choice but to have a Garmin shop reload the entire G1000 system software, or at least the AIRFRAME file from this system software. By leaving out use of the Jepp Chartview unlock card, the system will revert to Garmin FliteCharts as the default.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Being careful with my iPad mini (not the latest generation) I have never had an issue with it shutting off unexpectedly or hurting my night vision. But it is another set of things to learn in order to keep that possibility at a minimum. And I have a backup (my wife's iPad) and a backup for the backup (my iPhone). I am much happier with my moving map on the PFD.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Phil

We did exactly this to 112NG. Unfortunately, it cost a few hundred dollars at the shop because (they claimed) they had to do a complete reinstall of all software.

I'll see if it's possible to pop in the Jepp unlock card to prompt a menu.
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by N503TS »

I'm having Columbia Air Services in Bar Harbor look at it tomorrow as I'm up here for work anyway. If it's a few hundred dollars to get back I figure I'm still saving as to get both US and a Canada Jepp chart subscription it's $900 per year more than the Garmin charts going forward so I'm still ahead.
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by N503TS »

It turns out they have to reload the entire software in order to remove the Jeppesen function. The avionics tech at Columbia stated it could be a 3 hour process if it goes well to at worst a longer process that he has seen LRU's fail when reloading the software and the LRU has to be sent back to Garmin for repair. Bummer- now I'm on the fence to whether I should just keep the Jepp charts at $600 more per year or attempt the reload at 3 hours labor minimum to ???? who knows how expensive.
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

I guess anything can happen in the world of software but the idea of a software load bricking an LRU seems unusual at the least. Given how Garmin's software loader works (one of the best I have seen), a software fail is rare and incremental. Even then, the accepted procedure would be to try again, not send it back to Garmin. And what would a "repair" that was tied to software loading mean? If an LRU was truly bricked the first possibility is likely that either it or the data path was bad in the first place. Much more likely than any of these possibilities is a corrupted file download on the part of the technician. That happens frequently and the first logical action would be to download again, compare file sizes or get a checksum from Garmin, etc. Also, a three hour load seems over the top. I have been involved in all of my loads and the most recent two versions do take a little longer, but still less than an hour, plus some validation time.

As with medical diagnoses, it is often a good idea to get a second opinion from a different technician.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Phil:
I would be very surprised if reloading your G1000 system software caused LRU failures.

When I ferried your plane to NC I discovered that some G1000 options (e.g., aux fuel tanks) had not been turned on (i.e., not configured in the G1000), so Glenn's shop in NC may have already reloaded your G1000 software quite recently.

Just make sure that when G1000 system software is reinstalled that all of the options on your plane are enabled (you may want to be there to assist if the shop isn't familiar with DA42s). The tech doing the install will also need to use your software unlock card to separately re-enable Synthetic Vision.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI