michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Bermuda

Post by michael.g.miller »

Living in NY, I've always fantasized about flying to Bermuda. The DA42 seems like a capable plane for the mission - it has the range, and burns JET-A, the only aviation fuel on the island.

I'm in the process of getting my multi in a DA42 and wanted to ask some practical questions:
1. Would y'all feel comfortable taking the DA42 hundreds of miles off land (assuming life raft+vests)?
2. The authorities require HF radio for the trip. I've seen fish-reel antennas for the DA42, but is there anything more practical?
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Re: Bermuda

Post by Charles »

Which agency requires an HF radio? Is it required if you do the flight VFR? If not, could you do it VFR when out of VHF range, i.e. cancel IFR when starting to lose VHF reception and get an IFR clearance over VHF just prior to your approach?
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Post by dgger »

michael.g.miller wrote:Would y'all feel comfortable taking the DA42 hundreds of miles off land (assuming life raft+vests)?
Funny you asked that. I looked into that when I was researching how to best bypass the U.S. coming from Canada and going into Mexico.

The overwater part I wouldn't mind - provided you have survival equipment and a good idea how to use it. The part the worried me was the lack of alternates. Where would you go, if TXKF became unavailable? Not sure about FAA regulations, but I would be surprised, if such a flight where even legal.
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dgger »

Charles wrote:Which agency requires an HF radio? Is it required if you do the flight VFR? If not, could you do it VFR when out of VHF range, i.e. cancel IFR when starting to lose VHF reception and get an IFR clearance over VHF just prior to your approach?
The New York Oceanic FIR requires HF for commercial flights. Two actually, though you might get a waiver going into Bermuda, from what I understand. (Page 66, https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/he ... ta_fir.pdf ). Not sure about private flights.

Going VFR you need to stay below FL55 which would reduce range and flexibilty regarding weather.
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

Thank you for the reference, I learned something today!

I guess IFR without ATC radio contact is rare outside Canada.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

dgger wrote:
Charles wrote:Which agency requires an HF radio? Is it required if you do the flight VFR? If not, could you do it VFR when out of VHF range, i.e. cancel IFR when starting to lose VHF reception and get an IFR clearance over VHF just prior to your approach?
The New York Oceanic FIR requires HF for commercial flights. Two actually, though you might get a waiver going into Bermuda, from what I understand. (Page 66, https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/he ... ta_fir.pdf ). Not sure about private flights.

Going VFR you need to stay below FL55 which would reduce range and flexibilty regarding weather.
Is VFR authorized in oceanic airspace? I remember that in the NAT region, they prohibit VFR flight to Narsarsuaq. Additionally, I emailed the FBO, which in addition to an exorbitant price sheet, let me know that HF radio is required for all flights to/from Bermuda.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

dgger wrote:
michael.g.miller wrote:Would y'all feel comfortable taking the DA42 hundreds of miles off land (assuming life raft+vests)?
Funny you asked that. I looked into that when I was researching how to best bypass the U.S. coming from Canada and going into Mexico.

The overwater part I wouldn't mind - provided you have survival equipment and a good idea how to use it. The part the worried me was the lack of alternates. Where would you go, if TXKF became unavailable? Not sure about FAA regulations, but I would be surprised, if such a flight where even legal.
From what I've heard, one of the taxiways used to be a runway, and in a pinch, you could always land on that. I know there's a diesel 172 based there, and they seem to manage.
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Post by N503TS »

Bermuda is a wonderful island. I'm there for business every two weeks or so and flights are reasonable and daily from Boston, NY and lots of places. I would never even consider taking my DA42 there as it's just not worth it. As you said the fees are very high for private flights (in lucky to be able to take the company Falcon 2000 on occasion as a passenger). Find lots of other fun places to fly. While most of the time the weather is easily planned you can get some nasty crosswinds that you might find beyond your ability. Squalls can come up along your route also that you can only guess what direction to avoid them as there will be no weather advisory for your altitude.
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dgger »

Is VFR authorized in oceanic airspace? I remember that in the NAT region, they prohibit VFR flight to Narsarsuaq. Additionally, I emailed the FBO, which in addition to an exorbitant price sheet, let me know that HF radio is required for all flights to/from Bermuda.
VFR should be fine (below FL55). It is classed as unctrolled airspace after all: https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... c-airspace

I went VFR into Narsarsuaq not to long ago. No complaints from anyone.
dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dgger »

michael.g.miller wrote:From what I've heard, one of the taxiways used to be a runway, and in a pinch, you could always land on that. I know there's a diesel 172 based there, and they seem to manage.
How about below minimum weather? Crossing the ADIZ you will need to file a flight plan. Is it legal in the U.S. to file one without an alternate?