5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Mountain High for Built-In Oxygen System

Post by CFIDave »

ultraturtle wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:36 pm
N157DA wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:27 pm What connector type did you end up getting for the DA62.
You don’t actually need a connector. Simply cut one of the Diamond supplied cannula connectors to a convenient length - it fits into the O2D2 perfectly.
Except that doesn't work -- you may damage the O2D2.

You need to order a pressure reducing in-line regulator from Mountain High that hangs from the O2 outlet in the ceiling, and then connects to the O2D2 black box. And when you order the regulator you need to specific which type of connector is needed: a BNC 750.
https://www.mhoxygen.com/product/o2d2-x-str/

Year ago they sold me the regulator separately since I already had an O2D2 system. If it's not on the website, call them.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

CFIDave wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:21 pm
ultraturtle wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:36 pm
N157DA wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:27 pm What connector type did you end up getting for the DA62.
You don’t actually need a connector. Simply cut one of the Diamond supplied cannula connectors to a convenient length - it fits into the O2D2 perfectly.
Except that doesn't work -- you may damage the O2D2.
Correct. Direct connection to the black box part of the O2D2 system will definitely damage it. I should have specified that the hose from the aircraft connector side of the cannula connects to the inline pressure reducing regulator part of the O2D2 system.

I had a different aircraft connector leading to the pressure reducing regulator of my O2D2 system, and simply snipped it off and connected the hose to the Diamond supplied cannula connector rather than purchasing a whole new regulator, hose, and connector.
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Do you guys mind posting a picture of what the MH box(es?) look like installed? We don't use o2 all the time but I do suffer from the headache probably some others mentioned with oxymizer pendant cannulas.

...which is probably why we don't cruise around at o2 altitudes all the time.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

This is a not very good picture of the control box wedged between the seata with the controls and ports facing aft. You can also stick the box in the seat back pocket and reach the controls from the pilot's seat. The other picture is from the MH manual.

I strap the bottle into the right passenger seat with the shoulder harness through the provided case for the bottle. Like a scuba tank, the primary stage is on the top of the tank and then a small tube connects to the controller which is the secondary stage that meters out the O2. The batteries last a long time.

I find the boom cannula's very comfortable. I use O2 at 10,000' and above and leave the cannula permanently attached to my headset which is enabled by the quick connect fitting (an accessory) on the tube from the controller to the boom. Sorry no pictures. On flights over 1.5-2hrs I usually fly at 10,000' - 14,000' unless the winds are bad. Less traffic and a little better speed. I have the AL-415 tank which at 10,000' is rated for 12.5hrs of supply for two people. In practice the tank drains pretty slowly and I maintain an O2 saturation in the low 90's.

MH has a horrible web site, but if you call them they'll set you up with the correct parts.
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 9.59.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 9.58.21 PM.png
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

I can take pictures on Saturday and post them here.
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Curious what it looks like with built in o2. Would it go on one port? All ports?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

neema wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:42 pm Curious what it looks like with built in o2. Would it go on one port? All ports?
With built-in O2, you can support 2 people from a single aircraft O2 port. The O2 flows out of one of the ceiling oxygen ports of our DA62 into the Mountain High pressure-reducing regulator, and then into the Mountain High O2D2 black box. You can then attach 2 Mountain High cannulas to the single O2D2 box to provide oxygen to 2 people (typically in the front seats).

You can add as many similar O2D2 systems as needed for each additional 2 people onboard, or have passengers use the "old fashioned" cannulas (that came with the plane) directly connected to their own ceiling O2 ports.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

I installed the MH system with the 48 CU composite cylinder in 2010 and love it. Diamond in Austria mounted the cylinder in the nose compartment in the same cradle used for the factory system (which for earlier models was continuous flow-very wasteful), with two thin hoses leading under the instrument panel attached to regulator boxes mounted between the front seats and the cabin wall. I estimate the bottle lasts at least 100 person-hours @ 12,000 msl. We did a round trip France to Seattle on one-half tank. Two additional hoses could be attached to the regulator boxes for rear seat passengers or for your dog!
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNSMF
Airports: ENGM

Post by sedatedokc »

NickBudd wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:29 pm the factory system (which for earlier models was continuous flow-very wasteful), with two thin hoses leading under the instrument panel attached to regulator boxes mounted between the front seats and the cabin wall. I estimate the bottle lasts at least 100 person-hours @ 12,000 msl. We did a round trip France to Seattle on one-half tank. Two additional hoses could be attached to the regulator boxes for rear seat passengers or for your dog!
Do diamond aircraft now come with a pulse system so the mountain high regulator is not necessary?

How does it work with pets and oxygen? Do dogs need oxygen at certain altitudes?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

New Diamond aircraft twins (DA42-VI and DA62) with optional O2 systems come with an Aerox system, consisting of a tank in the nose and outlets for each pilot and passenger position. They also come with Aerox Oxysaver cannulas for each pilot/passenger and a single full mask for the pilot (for use at 18,000 feet or above).

This is a totally manual (non-electronic) system where each user needs to adjust the needle-ball flow valve on their cannula (depending on altitude).

After delivery, the owner can optionally purchase a Mountain High O2D2 pulse-demand system (and regulator/adapter) for each pair of users -- it they want to further conserve O2 and have a "black box" automatically adjust flow rates based on altitude. The O2D2 system plugs into one of the plane's built-in outlets.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI