4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Music Input Jacks - GMA1347 Audio Panel

Post by TwinStarScott »

As I'm having trouble finding these - does anyone know if these were installed in the TDI 2006 models? Can't find them anywhere as I'm experimenting with an audio checklist app (Miracheck). It's not critical but would be a nice improvement when both of the front seats are occupied. Thanks!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Music Input Jacks - GMA1347 Audio Panel

Post by CFIDave »

In my experience, I've seen that a music input jack (for stereo mini-plug) is installed into the center console by Diamond Canada (into DA40/DA42/DA62 aircraft) only as part of their installation of a Garmin GDL69A SXM satellite weather/music unit into the aircraft. They also typically install "channel" and "volume" rocker switches into the rear of the center console.

Aircraft built in Austria (potentially including DA42 TDI 2006 models) don't have any of these installed, since the GDL69A is not certified outside of North America (no SXM satellite footprint exists outside North America). Therefore whenever a new Austrian-built plane is imported to the US or Canada, Diamond Canada has to add the GDL69A and audio jack to the aircraft before customer delivery.

I suppose it would be possible to have an A&P install an audio input jack independent of the GDL69A, with the jack wired directly into a GMA1347 (G1000) input behind the audio panel. This would also likely require the G1000 to be reconfigured (in maintenance mode) to activate the appropriate audio input.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thank you Dave for your insights on this subject! It's quite possible I may have inadvertently placed some velcro over those mini audio jacks - for securing a countdown timer used when transferring fuel from the aux. tanks to the mains. However, before I spend any money with an avionics shop I'm going to first get more inflight experience using the iPad app Miracheck. In the interim, the right seat occupant will just have to miss out on the interactive audio portion when running through the new checklist procedures. Once again Dave, I appreciate you sharing your enlightening information by pointing me in the right direction. :)
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: VHYDZ
Airports: YMMB

Post by dselder1962 »

Scott
I looked up Mira app. Looks very interesting, but very complex. Would you mind sharing your view on how easy/hard it is to set up and use? Are there DA42-VI checklists available, or would we have to make them up?
Thanks!
David
David
Based in Moorabbin, Australia. 8-)
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Hi David,

Here in the Pacific NW, flying days are fairly limited this time of year - so will have to report back on ease of use since I've had only limited experience with it in the cockpit thus far. So have used this down time to develop my own custom checklist - dabbling with it (as time allows) for only about two weeks now. However, Miracheck recently did get a very positive review in the most recent IFR magazine by Frank Bowlin*. As for setup, DA42 owners are in luck as one was uploaded just this week to the Miracheck.com website. I'm not sure for which exact make and model, but it's not a TDI model as the speeds section would have to be modified slightly for those of us flying older airframes. My initial impression is this app will change my use of checklists for the remainder of my flying days. Finally, you'll find the app developer is quite responsive and knowledgeable - he lives in the Eastern Time Zone (US). Hope that helps for now, feel free to check back with me in about a week or two.

ATB,
Scott

*December 2017 and I've always found Frank's articles to be accurate and informative.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

For those interested in learning more about this app: here's a link to the article mentioned above:

http://www.ifr-magazine.com/issues/33_1 ... 355-1.html