5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: DA42-VI v Super 700 Aerostar

Post by Antoine »

I am still not sure how come the Aerostar manages to be so much faster than its contemporary "fast looking" competition. It looks nice and sleek but the others dont look bad either. Any explanation?
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

All of the airfoils are very thin. Wing section NACA 641A212. Check out the airplanes that use this airfoil.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Tommy »

Antoine, if you have a chance to see an Aerostar in person, the first thing that will catch your eye is how thin the leading edge is. Then look at other similar aircraft and you will be surprised at how thin the Aerostar airfoil actually is. The thin section of the airfoil coupled with a 2 degree dihedral can quickly contribute to fuel miss management (unporting) if you fly the plane uncoordinated. You cannot be sloppy about flying the Aerostar. It will force you to fly perfectly coordinated flight or you will experience unporting and an unbalanced fuel condition. Quite frankly, the Aerostar will make you a better pilot. You are forced to be proficient or you will pay the consequences.
Last edited by Tommy on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Tommy wrote:Quite frankly, the Aerostar will make you a better pilot. You are forced to be proficient or you will pay the consequences.
It definitely is a by the numbers airplane. It also speaks in very explicit terms to the pilot; if you do not pay attention to the plane it will bite. Fly uncoordinated not only do you have fuel imbalance but it can cost you a good five knots in speed. Blue line is like three knots over the start of the area of reverse command as an example. And with that thing wing, the area of reverse command is huge, you can hang on the props at full power way below rotation speed or even practical stall speed if you are light. All around, an awesome plane to fly.
There is a reason the Aerostar airframe has appealed to a large number or former military fighter pilots.

Tim
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Tommy »

Tim, have you ever considered a straight 600 NA. The operating costs are considerably less if you can live without the turbos and pressurization.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Tommy wrote:Tim, have you ever considered a straight 600 NA. The operating costs are considerably less if you can live without the turbos and pressurization.
Yes. The turbos and pressurization did not cost me a lot. It was my "lead" foot. The plane was designed to run fast, so I did!

The two longer term issues are my wife and I really want to travel internationally and the Aerostar is just more "plane" than we require. From a practical perspective international travel is a lot easier with Jet-A. I cannot afford the turbine prices, so that pretty much leaves me at Diamond Diesel planes for certified.

Now if I win the lottery, all bets are off.

Tim
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Tommy »

That's right. I forgot. You had mentioned international travel previously. That pretty much makes diesel a no brainier. Yes, there is no question, Diamond is one heck of a nice airplane. You're definitely not taking a back seat.