5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Where Are All the Used DA-42s?

Post by CFIDave »

I can't recall a period with so few used Diamond aircraft for sale; it's not just DA42s that are in big demand.

We now see a lot more buyers than sellers, so when we obtain a brokerage listing for a pre-owned Diamond, purchase one for inventory, or arrange a trade-in on a new aircraft, the used aircraft may get sold almost immediately. There's less of a need to advertise it on Controller, Trade-a-Plane, etc. because we've already got interested buyers ready to purchase.

The result is that prices for good used DA40s and DA42s have been climbing.

And new Diamond aircraft sales are about the best they've been since the 2008 recession, particularly due to changes in US tax laws.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

Wow...even all the Diamond pre-owned aircraft on the DAC website are listed as sold.
https://www.diamondaircraft.com/our-air ... /for-sale/
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Don wrote:Wow...even all the Diamond pre-owned aircraft on the DAC website are listed as sold.
Don't believe everything you see on that web site. My DA42 has been sitting with Diamond there for 2 years and has yet to be advertised. I know it is for sale. It has 900 hours on engines, so likely will need new engines. I don't know how many more DA42's that Diamond has sitting at their factory, but I know that mine is not the only one they have for sale. There were 18 of us involved in the law suit against Diamond regarding the engine fiasco, and I am sure that mine is not the only one that is back at the factory waiting for Diamond to sell the plane.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

carym wrote:
Don wrote:Wow...even all the Diamond pre-owned aircraft on the DAC website are listed as sold.
Don't believe everything you see on that web site. My DA42 has been sitting with Diamond there for 2 years and has yet to be advertised. I know it is for sale. It has 900 hours on engines, so likely will need new engines. I don't know how many more DA42's that Diamond has sitting at their factory, but I know that mine is not the only one they have for sale. There were 18 of us involved in the law suit against Diamond regarding the engine fiasco, and I am sure that mine is not the only one that is back at the factory waiting for Diamond to sell the plane.
Just speculating here. But could it be that the plane is involved in a lawsuit so sales advertising is on hold til lawsuit is resolved? Again, only guessing here.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

Just speculating here. But could it be that the plane is involved in a lawsuit so sales advertising is on hold til lawsuit is resolved? Again, only guessing here.
No, the law suit was settled more than 2 years ago. They have had the plane just sitting there (along with any others that may have been involved with the settlement). The speculation is that they are not putting them up for sale in order to avoid "flooding the market" so that the price of the planes can remain high. But, that is just speculation. I am sure that if anyone wants to purchase a used 2017 DA42, they are available from Diamond.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

From my experience in trying to buy one of those planes, the factory has not figured out yet how to sell them, which is really annoying. Two years sitting is not good for an airplane and the value just fades away. Bring in Great Lakes Diamond and Lifestyle Aviation and get the planes sold.

They *seemed* to high a sales team (two people?) to move the planes, to do the things (engine replacement, interiors) that a customer might want done at the factory to bring them up to like-new specs. They were even offering a strange hybrid warranty. But they didn't have it priced right (they knew it), and did have a follow through.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

It is really too bad that they aren't trying to move these planes. The DA42 is not the fastest plane in the world, but it is such a safe twin that I can't imagine flying any other twin for the price. N336TS took my wife and I all over this country, from Maine to Florida on the east, to Los Angeles and Seattle on the west, and up through Alaska. We did all that flying in comfort and safety. Even with an engine issue over the Rockies and the Sierra Nevada range in southern California, we had enough safety margin flying at 35% power or so to make it to our destinations (and this is with the 1.7 engines). I really miss the plane :(
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
rwatters
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N929KD
Airports:

Post by rwatters »

Thanks for the responses. It still seems odd to me that there would be that small a market in the DA42. Withover 600 units produced you’d expect to see at least 5% on the market at any one time.

One of the older posts indicated that Diamond Canada had acquired lots of the old planes and is trickling them onto the market as they get converted.

Maybe there just aren’t that many flyin in the US.

I gather that Theilert became Centurion and has now been purchased buy Continental. Are they actually producing the engines in Mobile at the TCM plant? I know that Continental has a repair shop at Fairhope Al miles from the plant. I wonder whether they can take care of gearboxes and fuel manifolds etc.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

rwatters wrote:
I gather that Theilert became Centurion and has now been purchased buy Continental. Are they actually producing the engines in Mobile at the TCM plant? I know that Continental has a repair shop at Fairhope Al miles from the plant. I wonder whether they can take care of gearboxes and fuel manifolds etc.
Continental is making the engines, although I believe that they all come from Europe. I know that I had to get my gearboxes and clutch from Continental and it was sent from Europe.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

When I asked Continental; mostly about repair time and overhaul time.
The answer was they currently have a very limited capacity and inventory maintained in the USA which is mostly focused on factory support. e.g. Helping Cessna or Diamond... The USA is considered a backup to Europe for part supplies and support, as in they only get involved if Europe has a backlog which exceeds an internal metric (that they would not give me).

Tim