Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Re: Fuel injector SB (Austro MSB-E4-025)

Post by robert63 »

There are two things you are missing.

Sadly enough, by March 11th, it is already an AD => https://ad.easa.europa.eu/blob/EASA_AD_ ... 019-0041_1

And second, you may not use parts that have a time limit without an EASA form 1. This forces everybody who doesn‘t want to have his EASA registered aircraft grounded to buy those fuel injectors from Diamond.
Oil filters have no time limit, batteries have.
This is a money printing machine for them.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

If it’s still not FAA AD, knowing the usual practice, it will soon become one. I don’t know the legal side of N-registered aircraft using parts obtained from non-aviation sources and what kind of paperwork you need for that but in EASA world it’s not possible for time-limited components as @robert63 pointed out.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

For owners with EASA-registered aircraft, I can't speak to requirements for additional EASA paperwork required for parts sourcing, since this doesn't affect FAA N-registered aircraft. (One more reason that a large percentage of GA aircraft operated in Europe are N-registered.)

But to Emir's comment, the FAA generally follows EASA recommendations for Airworthiness Directives (and visa versa) by about 6 months. So with EASA recently issuing an AD for injector replacement, let's assume that the FAA will get around to doing the same by the end of this year.

To institute a fuel injector AD the FAA must publish their intention to issue a proposed AD in the Federal Register with a reasonably-long public comment period, and the FAA by law must respond to these comments. For those of us with Austro engines on N-registered aircraft, this will be our opportunity to influence whether the FAA issues an AD, under what conditions, and if so, how it might be implemented.

With the ability of N-registered aircraft owners to source genuine Mercedes-Benz injectors from suppliers other than Diamond/Austro, the cost of replacement every 900 hours shouldn't be exorbitant, even if an FAA AD is issued.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

CFIDave wrote: One more reason that a large percentage of GA aircraft operated in Europe are N-registered.
Actually it’s not large any more and it will be less and less in the future due to regulatory reasons forbidding long term parking of N-reg aircrafts in European countries.
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Dave, what shop is going to be happy and willing to throw in injectors that they didn't source themselves? I.e. without an Austro/Diamond sticker on them?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

This is no different from installation of Panasonic ECU backup batteries that must be replaced annually, Mercedes oil filters, MANN fuel filters, etc., all of which have the original vendor-specific part numbers listed in Diamond/Austro documents -- and don't have to be purchased from Diamond or Austro. Austro clearly lists the Mercedes-Benz part number for E4 series (AE300/AE330) injectors in its Maintenance Manual (see previous posting taken directly from the Austro manual.) As noted, the injectors are individually flow tested and stamped by Mercedes, so quality control is assured.

Any shop replacing Austro fuel injectors must have (password-protected) access to the Austro Engine "Maintenance Manual E4 Series" Doc. No.: E4.08.04 in order to perform the work, and hence will have the Mercedes-Benz part number.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

The shop who put the injector issue on our map (Absolute Aero at KHWD) said they weren't comfortable if I brought in Benz/Bosch injectors. I will vehemently push back, but if push comes to shove, we'll try the other shop we use (MX Aero at KLGB) or consider doing it ourselves. Not sure if the latter is really feasible. There is a Benz dealership down the street from my office though... maybe I should take the plane there?

I'm happy to express my distaste with Diamond. The mx history for us has been pretty pathetic.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

4-injector replacement on an Austro engine is not very difficult for a competent shop -- I watched the procedure being performed and it took about 3-4 hours. The most important part of the procedure is to make sure each new injector is installed with everything torqued to the correct values, since the diesel engine's 18-to-1 compression ratio is about twice that of a typical avgas airplane engine where mechanics are used to installing spark plugs. (I learned of one instance where an injector was improperly installed and it literally shot out the top of the head during a full-power ground test, causing damage to the head, fuel line, and wiring harness.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

CFIDave - was that 3-4 hours per injector?

Our plane was in for its 100 hr inspection last month so I asked about the injector issue -

As far as "JUST" the injector issue goes, I was told the cost per "official" injector was approx $1200 each
(I don't know if that includes the DAI "shipping fee") and 35 man hours PER ENGINE!

If the above is correct, here's the total for the 900 hr injector "replacement" issue ALONE-
8x1200=$9600 injectors +
70 shop hours (both engines) at $112/hr (rate at shop I used)=$7840 MX cost
TOTALS a nice whopping $17,440 !! (OR approx $20/hour reserve just for the injector replacement!!)

ON ANOTHER NOTE ----
Has anyone heard about a "cylinder head" replacement MSB at 900 hours?? I don't have access to the Austro MX info. I was told about this "issue" when I asked about the 900 hour injector issue.
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

jb642DA wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:51 pm CFIDave - was that 3-4 hours per injector?
No, 3-4 hours for all the injectors on the engine -- basically a half-day job. Once the cover on top of the head and a few hoses are removed, the injectors are all accessible.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI