4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: Lopresti landing lights

Post by TwinStarScott »

I'd also be concerned about 85 watts of heat (instead of 35W) being produced right under the pilot's seats; you could literally find yourself sitting in a "hot seat." wrote:
David (N16FA) deserves credit from bringing up a fairly major shortcoming in the existing fleet, as the situation is crying for a better solution. Several years back I spoke with Dan Blumel at XeVision*, using my A&P's strategy to first try a lower cost solution. Which began by replacing the fading eleven year old, factory original, light bulbs. There was a very minor improvement, but not even close to what is needed. 

So I called Dan Blumel back, and it turns out there is a 50 watt power supply product his company also manufactures. This raises the lumens from the stock 3200 to 5300. Adding pulsing is also an option, which his company sells by the name of XePulse. 

The drawback to both of these modifications, is of course, they would require a 337 sign off. So I asked my A&P / IA if he would speak to his contact at the Seattle FSDO about this. Not surprisingly, the answer was in the negative. 

Costs at the time, without an STC, where:
50 Watt power supply = $580 + shipping
XePulse = $199

If memory serves, Dan did seem open to going down the STC path - if there was enough interest. The additional cost to the prices listed above would be next to impossible to predict at this point, should this STC ever become a reality. 

Prior to CFIDave's "hot seat" concern, I had not given any consideration to this possible downside. Which got me to wondering:

1) the heat difference, on a hot day, experienced in the front seats between 50 & 85 watts?

2) if the pulse cycle was slowed down, would this further dissipate the heat associated with the higher wattage power supplies? 

3) would an increase from 3200 lumens to 5300 lumens, be acceptable to most owners seeking this improvement (from a lighting standpoint)?  And at a presumably lower cost.

4) are there any owners, living in other jurisdictions than Seattle, who would be willing to check with their local FSDO for the XeVision upgrade mentioned above?

https://www.xevision.com/

*XeVision is the landing light manufacturer for DAI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Since our visual perception of lumens is logarithmic, you might not see as much of a difference in brightness as you were expecting by increasing bulb output from 3200 lumens to 5300 lumens. You'd see increased brightness but not a 66% increase.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
hkavasch
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: D-GDON
Airports: EDMQ

Post by hkavasch »

Like many others we are unhappy with the poor performance of the DA42 Landing and Taxi lights (somehow it feels like they are not even working at all). This threat discussed two years ago the option to install LED lights or strong power supplies. Did anyone of the DA42 owners found a solution meanwhile?
Hans Kavasch
Flying Club MDG (http://www.edmq.de), Germany
DA40TDI 2.0s CD155, G1000, D4.325, D-EDKY
DA42 2.0 CD135, 42.049, D-GDON
hkavasch
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: D-GDON
Airports: EDMQ

Post by hkavasch »

Just received the feedback from Diamond, that LED lights are not available.. Diamond suggested to replace our old (5+ years) with brand new ones.. hoping that new lights are brighter.. any experience with this?
Hans Kavasch
Flying Club MDG (http://www.edmq.de), Germany
DA40TDI 2.0s CD155, G1000, D4.325, D-EDKY
DA42 2.0 CD135, 42.049, D-GDON
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

hkavasch wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:50 pm Just received the feedback from Diamond, that LED lights are not available.. Diamond suggested to replace our old (5+ years) with brand new ones.. hoping that new lights are brighter.. any experience with this?
Typical Diamond answer - they don't deliver what customers want; they deliver what they think is the best.