4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: WAAS KAP140

Post by TwinStarScott »

I am about to purchase a 2006 DA42, The price is right but now I'm beginning to see why.
The DA42 is such a good aircraft in so many regards but this software issue is really making me rethink my plan. Does anyone think that this is still a good plane to purchase giving the software issues and Diamonds outlook on the situation. It sure sounds discouraging.
You will need a crystal ball Tim. And if you have one, please share it with the rest of us. On a more serious note, here are a few unanswerable questions, plus some items to check into before purchasing any DA42 TDI / legacy G1000 system:

will DAI ever release a MSB for a final GDU software update to version 15.xx?
(currently my 2006, serial number 33 has been stuck on version 9.05 for the past ten years, which means numerous Garmin features are not available to these airframes. MFD data & engine logging, holding patterns and flight plan transfer are ones that immediately come to mind)

• is your prospective aircraft ADS-B equipped with a GTX-345R transponder?

- If yes, verify there is a reliable bluetooth reception in the front seats, with the airplane loaded up with rear seat passengers and luggage in the rear baggage compartment. And if reception is intermittent, expect to pay an avionics shop two days of labor to open up the airframe to install a FlightStream 210, which runs about $1,000 for just the hardware. You may also have to travel a great distance after locating an avionics shop that has previous experience with this additional hardware installation. Note: with the combination of GDU version 11.12 or higher and a FS210, this should allow for use of the flight plan transfer feature. The 345R does NOT support this feature. Currently, there likely isn't even a single (or twin) Diamond produced aircraft that has access to this feature (to the best of my knowledge).

- If no, expect a long delay to schedule with an avionics shop. Costs should be in the neighborhood of $10,000. Which is a lot to simply satisfy the ADS-B OUT mandate. So be absolutely certain your airframe allows for good BT reception before the avionics shop buttons your airplane back up.

will DAI ever make available a hardware upgrade path to the NXi?
If yes, will DAI also include the FlightStream510?
a/o Feb. 2019, even NXi equipped Diamond Aircraft rolling down the assembly line do not have this piece of hardware - yet (according to multiple sources, as the saying goes).

Known issues and other considerations:

• Parts for the KAP140 are becoming difficult to source and when will these dry up completely?

• Budget for upgrading to a GFC700, with swamped avionics shops (cost estimate anyone?)

• Budget for upgrading to an NXi, should this ever become available ($30,000 to $70,000 are numbers I've heard floated by knowledgeable sources - and these are very rough estimates)

• Replacement parts for the legacy G1000 system will also become increasingly difficult to source

• How many more years will Garmin support the legacy systems?

• TDI tech. support by John Weber of Continental is excellent and really couldn't be better

• However, most TDI parts are not stocked domestically, seems like only the lightweight ones are. Plus shipping heavy items to (returns) and from Germany is expensive. Another consideration is Continental has a tedious ordering system that slows down the delivery of parts, that is further complicated by the large time difference.

Having said all of the above, these are REALLY fun aircraft to fly. Would I do it all over again? It all depends on - if, when and how DAI responds to the above questions.