2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kevin
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N521QA
Airports: KBLM

Engine Load indication incorrect at higher altitudes

Post by baldesk »

Has anyone observed an incorrect engine load % reading at higher altitudes for the DA42-VI? I experienced this several times on a long cross country at or above FL150. Specifically the L/R load indicated, as well as the fuel in GPH, were asymmetrical (e.g. Left 87% and 8.0 GPH ; Right 79% and 7.1 GPH) yet was RPM was symmetric at 2040. In all cases, pulling the throttles back and then moving to 75% rectifyed the discrepancies.

Thanks in advance for your input.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Re: Engine Load indication incorrect at higher altitudes

Post by ultraturtle »

I observe an opposite load % discrepancy in my -VI at altitude. I have air conditioning installed, and the book (Ops Supplement S07, 5.3.10) states "The Cruise Speed with the Recirculating Air - Cabin Cooling System switched OFF is reduced by 2 %." I interpret this to mean that there is always less motive power available from the left engine at any given RPM. I have always had the left engine load lag, with the RPM similar to the right at the same throttle position while climbing through the mid teens, and assumed it was due to the idle drag of the additional alternator on the left engine (the air conditioning having been turned off long before).

Oddly, and much like you, I have been able to largely rectify the difference by pulling power to well below 75%, then restoring it, but the left load % has never fully caught up with the right load % at the same RPM at altitudes in the mid teens and above when advancing both throttles to achieve anything much above 75%.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The differences you see in L vs. R engine loads (and fuel consumption) at the same RPM are likely due to variation in prop governor operation between engines; sometimes one engine governor will lag behind the other as power is increased. As noted, this can sometimes be fixed by temporarily throttling back and then increasing power back to 75% or whatever your desired cruise loading is. In my experience this can happen at lower as well as higher altitudes.

I doubt the RACC (especially when turned OFF) has anything to do with the difference. The exception is when sitting on the ground at idle with air conditioning ON you can see 2% more load needed on the left engine to maintain idle RPM.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

At FL180 I've seen as much as 8% less load on the left than the right at firewall power, RPMs roughly matched, even after throttling back then restoring full throttle.

At 75%, however, they are evenly matched. That's my preferred cruise power, so I'm not too concerned. For me, it's only an issue in the climb.
baldesk
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kevin
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N521QA
Airports: KBLM

Post by baldesk »

Thanks all. Happy to hear there is no major concern and that others are seeing the same behavior.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

baldesk wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:38 am Thanks all. Happy to hear there is no major concern and that others are seeing the same behavior.
Which doesn’t mean that’s ok.