2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Doug
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N149WT
Airports: KEDJ

Inset Map

Post by dwall »

I hate posting this because I fear it will turn out to be a stupid question that with a little more research I could have answered on my own. My wife however is a teacher and is always saying how there are no stupid questions. I have some data that displays on my PFD inset map that I can not figure out. I have searched the internet, my G1000 handbook and Max Trescott's G1000 book and turned up nothing. I have attached a snapshot of my inset map with the NR-U: 2m and NR-C: 7m being displayed. What does this mean?
PFD Inset Map
PFD Inset Map
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Inset Map

Post by Colin »

I believe those are the NextRAD-United States and NextRAD-Canada update times. So 7 minutes ago you got updated NextRAD weather for Canada and 2 minutes ago you got NextRAD-United States data.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

(There's a lot of information online about this, but the data is definitely NOT live. That's not anything like having radar. It has to be collated, stitched together compressed, and moved to the upload sites. So I think the moment you get it the US data is something like fifteen minutes old. With convective activity, especially the powerful stuff we're trying to stay out of, that's a long time.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

This is actually a really good question Doug and one that only leads to further questions. First, this is something I have seldom, if ever, seen on my PFD inset map. But then I only infrequently have the inset map selected.

So it might be helpful to know what version of GDU software your G1000 is running with your GFC700 A/P. For instance, is it version 9.05 or it is closer to version 15.xx? Another question that comes to mind - have you equipped your aircraft with a GTX-345R yet?

Other questions are:

- have any other KAP140 aircraft, running version 9.05, ever seen this nomenclature before (NR-U & -C)?

- given this PFD inset is displaying only traffic information, doesn't the solid yellow circle next to the NR letters and up arrow - actually imply some kind of additional traffic information? Such as a pending traffic conflict that is outside of the current scale selected? Just a guess here.

- also, with legacy aircraft, we are equipped with (entirely?) GDL-69A data link receivers, allowing us to only to display XM Wx on the MFD and zero NextRAD data - correct? As my understanding is, even with a GTX-345R installed, we can't display nextRAD data on the MFD. Requiring us to have an XM subscription, if we wish to have access to any Wx information on the G1000*.

Perhaps our resident G1000 expert can set the rest of us straight on this . . . .

PS - after scanning the G1000 petition, we have yet to document the GDU version for the GFC700 equipped aircraft. The only exception to this are the two DA42's flown by SBGS of Ukraine, who are running version 15.11.

*however, I've heard first hand how the NXi will allow for NextRAD data to be overlaid on the HSI portion of the PFD and what a great feature this is.

Starts at ~2:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXrhrLBmN44
Last edited by TwinStarScott on Thu May 23, 2019 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Here's what it looks like on my DA40:
Inset
Inset
Inset.jpg (19.81 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
The legend is a little different from the DA42, but the same idea. You do have to turn on the legend - under the "INSET" soft key, there is a "WX LGND" key that enables or disables the legend. I'm pretty sure it's disabled by default.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

After going down to the hangar and grabbing the Garmin G1000 manual, here what it says regarding Doug's question:

NR = NEXRAD (page 10-20 & figure 10.3.15). So Colin was absolutely right and the picture from Rick's DA40 shows this GDU version is more clearly depicted and doesn't mix Wx and traffic data in the same little box.

The “NR” is mentioned only briefly under Chapter 10 “Optional Equipment” under the GDL-69 / GDL-69A tabs – which documents the NEXRAD data is coming from an XM Wx source (vs. an ADS-B input). And even though SirusXM WX is advertised as providing fresher data than ADS-B returns, Colins warning still applies with fast moving convective activity and serves as a good reminder for us all. Rest in peace Scott Crossfield, among the countless other pilots who have fallen victim to encounters with thunderstorms.

The manual makes no mention of NR-U: x m[inutes] U & NR-C: x m[inutes].

Also, the “NR-U x 2m & NR-C 7m” could also be further verification that the aircraft has an active XM Wx subscription and is receiving valid NEXRAD data. It then follows, this information could not possibly be displayed if:

1) the XM Wx subscription is currently inactive
or
2) having a GTX-345R would not allow for time stamping NEXRAD returns because it cannot be accessed on either the PFD or MFD

What I'd like to know is does the “NR - xMIN” appear on all the inset pages of the PFD or only the Wx page? Also, if anyone by chance has a GTX-345R installed, is running legacy software and is able to receive ADS-B NEXRAD data on their MFD, please let us know. Thanks!

Finally, the yellow circle with the up arrow means “Traffic enabled” (pages 3-32 & F-3).
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

The WX and traffic display on the inset is the same as on the MFD in all of the installations I've seen, including those with and without ADS-B (GTX-345R), TAS (TAS-6X0), TIS, and XM (GDL-69/A).
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

pietromarx wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:04 amThe WX and traffic display on the inset is the same as on the MFD in all of the installations I've seen, including those with and without ADS-B (GTX-345R), TAS (TAS-6X0), TIS, and XM (GDL-69/A).
The Inset display may be the same, but I don't think you are going to get any weather on it without a GDL69, or any traffic without TAS or TIS. How would that happen?

And yes, as Scott mentioned, if there is anyone out there with a DA40 and a GTX345 getting ADS-B weather on their G1000 MFD, please post here! I don't think it's possible.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

1. The inset map shows the same data as the MFD.

2. The data shown on both depends on the sources.

3. Installations with the GTX345R show the FIS-B weather. At least mine does.

4. Since the GTX345R is installed in the DA40 using the elderly GDL90 emulation mode then this is likely the same in all G1000 installations.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Well, that is most interesting Peter (to say the least)! Since it sounds as if you're quite familiar with a large number of DA40 and DA42 legacy G1000 installations - do you happen to work in an avionics shop?

Also, regarding your point No. 3 - by what means is the FIS-B / ADS-B Wx actually being displayed on your G1000?

More specifically:

- what version of GDU software are you running*?

- did you install any additional hardware* to be able to pull off this feat?

- did you remove your GDL-69 or GDL-69A?

- if no, then with an active SiriusXM Wx subscription, is it possible to toggle between the two G1000 Wx sources?

- is there any advice you can provide to those of us with GTX-345R's, who aren't able to display FIS-B Wx, on how best to remedy this situation?

Thanks!

* as I've was always been led to believe BOTH software and hardware were limiting factors here.