1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Douglas
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N442AD
Airports: KMGJ

G1000 RED X Fuel Quanitiy, Amps, Volts, Deice etc. = Bad Fuel Probe

Post by 442AD »

Flying along all of a sudden Red X's on G1000 on Fuel Quantity, Amps, Volts, Deice, Fuel Temp and no indication for Stall heat or Pitot heat.

Long of it is spent a lot of time chasing and thinking it was a G1000 - GEA71. Wild goose chase. In the end it was the right fuel probe.

Hints if this happens to you:
Disconnect one by one and reconnect one by one the fuel probe sensors. Two on each wing, inboard and outboard under wing access panels. Once the bad probe is disconnected you will get partial information back on the G1000. There you have it. That is the bad probe and if it's the inboard one, the wing will have to come off. I imagine the outboard one would be through winglet? I don't know.

This was a very expensive wild goose chase and cost me another week and a half staying with the in-laws.

I'm doing a price check..Does anyone know how much a fuel probe costs?
salim
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Salim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: FHVES
Airports: LFPN

Re: G1000 RED X Fuel Quanitiy, Amps, Volts, Deice etc. = Bad Fuel Probe

Post by salim »

I had to replace one inner and one outer probe during 2000h at DAI in Austria. Price was approx 700€ each (850 usd)
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: G1000 RED X Fuel Quanitiy, Amps, Volts, Deice etc. = Bad Fuel Probe

Post by Karl »

It is important to make sure your mechanic does preventative maintenance on the airframe bonding system.
Bonding issues can cause all kinds of weird problems from avionics noise to multiple G1000 and FADEC failures.

One important place to look is on the tailplane rear spar behind the elevator. We have found that it can pass the bonding test but at the same time be severely corroded and cause problems.

By preventative maintenance I mean when you do the bonding test, just because it squeaks in just below the upper limit does not mean it will last until the next check. Best to do preventative maintenance whilst the aircraft is apart on maintenance than be chasing defects when you should be flying.