3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Trevor
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N62DL
Airports: KRNT

DA42 Engine Failure in Amsterdam

Post by tjmoody »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw_3GsnYQpw

A friend sent me this. Does anyone have anymore information on what happened? From the registration, it looks like it is a 2007 DA42. On-line photos suggest it is a DA42-NG.

Certainly kudos to the pilot and ATC for handling this very professionally. I got the impression that the failed engine may have restarted towards the end but I'm not completely clear.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: DA42 Engine Failure in Amsterdam

Post by ememic99 »

It’s already mentioned here viewtopic.php?p=88345#p88345

I believe that aircraft is upgraded to AE300 engines. According to FlightRadar it continued flying normally after incident. However, I have no idea what has happened and what service has been done.
Keess
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kees
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: PHTDX
Airports: EHAM

Re: DA42 Engine Failure in Amsterda

Post by Keess »

Yep,it is our 42. The pilot encountered a ecu a and b failure during take off in solid imc and the sensation off less power on that engine. That’s why the call was made. In fact, the engine never stopped producing power and when the power was brought back to like 60/70% ,one ecu warning disappeared and the other one after changing the voter switch. At our local diamond dealer it turned out that we had a broken membrane in the waste gate actuator. Therefore the waste gate was not working at all and the pressure sensors in the intake manifold would sense a too high boost pressure when the 100 % power was selected during take off.
tjmoody
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Trevor
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N62DL
Airports: KRNT

Re: DA42 Engine Failure in Amsterdam

Post by tjmoody »

Kees - Wow, thanks for sharing the details. Very interesting! That must have been an "exciting" few minutes but glad it worked well. Congrats to your pilot for handling it so professionally.