Interesting day fights in the mid-atlantic region

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

c2mlp
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N681DS (40.611)
Airports: N14

Interesting day fights in the mid-atlantic region

Post by c2mlp »

Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a DA40 based at N14 (Flying W) near Philadelphia. I am looking for any interesting, fun, cool, or unique airports/towns to fly to in the mid-atlantic/northeast area. I am hoping to keep it to a day's trip, so no overnight. In the summer, currently I often fly to LKP (Lake Placid, NY) and 20N (Ocean City, NJ) for the mountains and the beach respectively. (Not very interested in airport diners.)

Any thoughts or input would greatly be appreciated. I'm trying to start planning things for the summer.

Chris
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Interesting day fights in the mid-atlantic region

Post by CFIDave »

Here are a few suggestions of day trips (NOT "$100 hamburger" flights to airport restaurants) to get you started. Most are further south of you since we're located in the DC area:

Luray Caverns -- fly to KLUA (formerly W45) in the scenic Shenandoah Valley. The folks who run the caverns also run the airport, so they will provide a free shuttle van to take you to the caverns, which also has places to eat. After touring the caverns, give them a call and they'll take you back to the airport.

Ocean City, MD -- fly to KOXB and call for a taxi. It's a short, inexpensive ride to the beach boardwalk with lots of restaurants, shopping, arcades, etc.

Piper Museum -- fly to KLHV Lock Haven, PA and visit the site where all Piper Cubs and many other models (e.g., Piper Comanche) were built. (FYI, the factory got wiped out due to hurricane-related flooding in the 1970s, so all Pipers are now built in Vero Beach, FL.) If the weather's nice you can walk to the museum and into town to eat; you can also get a ride from the friendly FBO.

Kitty Hawk, NC -- fly to KFFA; this may be a bit further to travel, but you have to fly into "Mecca for pilots" at least once in your life. Visit the Wright Brothers memorial, museum, and you can walk to the beach. AOPA maintains a building for flight planning there (VFR code to unlock). Obtain fuel for the return by landing at nearby KMQI Mateo airport.

Hudson River NYC flight -- you have to take a special online course to learn about altitudes, radio reporting points, and procedures, but this flight up and back down the Hudson River VFR corridor provides spectacular views of the city. https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/cou ... spx?cID=79

I've not yet tried Tangier Island (KTGI), an island in the middle of Chesapeake Bay with locals who speak with an unusual accent due to their isolation. But many pilots around here have found it to be a fun day trip.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
c2mlp
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by c2mlp »

CFIDave wrote:Here are a few suggestions of day trips (NOT "$100 hamburger" flights to airport restaurants) to get you started. Most are further south of you since we're located in the DC area:

Luray Caverns -- fly to KLUA (formerly W45) in the scenic Shenandoah Valley. The folks who run the caverns also run the airport, so they will provide a free shuttle van to take you to the caverns, which also has places to eat. After touring the caverns, give them a call and they'll take you back to the airport.

Ocean City, MD -- fly to KOXB and call for a taxi. It's a short, inexpensive ride to the beach boardwalk with lots of restaurants, shopping, arcades, etc.

Piper Museum -- fly to KLHV Lock Haven, PA and visit the site where all Piper Cubs and many other models (e.g., Piper Comanche) were built. (FYI, the factory got wiped out due to hurricane-related flooding in the 1970s, so all Pipers are now built in Vero Beach, FL.) If the weather's nice you can walk to the museum and into town to eat; you can also get a ride from the friendly FBO.

Kitty Hawk, NC -- fly to KFFA; this may be a bit further to travel, but you have to fly into "Mecca for pilots" at least once in your life. Visit the Wright Brothers memorial, museum, and you can walk to the beach. AOPA maintains a building for flight planning there (VFR code to unlock). Obtain fuel for the return by landing at nearby KMQI Mateo airport.

Hudson River NYC flight -- you have to take a special online course to learn about altitudes, radio reporting points, and procedures, but this flight up and back down the Hudson River VFR corridor provides spectacular views of the city. https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/cou ... spx?cID=79

I've not yet tried Tangier Island (KTGI), an island in the middle of Chesapeake Bay with locals who speak with an unusual accent due to their isolation. But many pilots around here have found it to be a fun day trip.
Thank you very much. Great advice.

Chris
GLDAS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N969GL
Airports: LL10

Post by GLDAS »

Kent Manor Inn is *really * close to you, and the brunch is also *really* good. Not cheap, but hey: you own an airplane!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... yland.html

Also, there is a good spot right across the street from the Montauk airport (KMTP), but it's not likely that there will be anyone out there until late May. NB: no fuel at MTP.

-dan
dan@greatlakesdiamond.com
Dan P. Eldridge
Great Lakes Diamond
c2mlp
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by c2mlp »

GLDAS wrote:Kent Manor Inn is *really * close to you, and the brunch is also *really* good. Not cheap, but hey: you own an airplane!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... yland.html

Also, there is a good spot right across the street from the Montauk airport (KMTP), but it's not likely that there will be anyone out there until late May. NB: no fuel at MTP.

-dan
dan@greatlakesdiamond.com
Thanks for your advice. That Inn looks very nice, definitely on my flight plan for the summer.
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

I'm lurking in this thread, live down in NC, but am very curious about what is posted here. Of course, Kitty Hawk is on the top of my list, have heard good things about Jekyll Island SC(probably out of Chris' range) etc...I am also interested in mid-atlantic and further down. Also, looking for someplace where I could fly in with the boys and camp out overnight with the plane.

Found a few helpful websites on this topic:
http://adventurepilot.com
http://www.funplacestofly.com

Thanks for the suggestions so far. :)

Eric
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
c2mlp
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by c2mlp »

Since this thread appears to be catching on a bit, and to help those who have helped me, I will post what information I have about cool airports to fly to that I am aware of.

Ocean City, NJ (26N) - About a 15 minute walk to the beach, 30-45 minute walk to main commercial area of boardwalk (taxis are available for a modest price). Simple airport diner. Hit pretty hard by Sandy, so check NOTAMS. (At time of posting: windcone missing and all airport lighting out.) Makes for a nice summer day tip to beach. $15 landing fee.

Flying W, NJ (N14) - My home field. Best to describe this by it's commercial name "Flying W Airport Resort" because that is what it really is... a resort. Sure its not a Four Seasons, but it does have a simple motel, quick service diner, a full-service restaurant (currently switching owners, but hopefully will be open for summer), an airplane shaped pool, sand volleyball courts, horseshoe, etc. They also have live outdoor music on weekends throughout the summer. As you can well imagine, the place can get PACKED. They are also expanding the pool area which took up about 5 tiedowns, so prepare to park on the grass in the summer if necessary. I am unsure if there is a landing fee or not, but the recreational area may require an additional modest fee. Has Jet A too.

Lake Placid, NY (LKP) - A beautiful town in the middle of the Adirondack mountains surrounded by countless lakes. While the airport does not have much within walking distance, there is a (I think seasonal) free trolley bus that will bring you to, and around, the town. Also rental cars are available. Friendly people at the airport. Tons of things to do for every type of person: golf, hiking, biking, boating, or simply sit back and enjoy the scenery. Lake Placid also hosted the Olympics twice so there are many venues to tour.

Well... Those are all the neat airports that I know of in the region. Hope it helps. Let's keep this thread going!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Here's another Mid-Atlantic day trip location I forgot to mention above.

Nemacolin Woodlands Resort in Farmington, PA. You won't find it in your G1000 database since it's a private airport (PA88), but it is located on VFR sectional charts, in AirNav: http://www.airnav.com/airport/PA88, and in the Foreflight app for iPad.
They have multiple nice restaurants for lunch, and they'll pick you up plane-side if you call after landing. Summertime activities include hiking, off-roading, shooting academy, golf, and a fun zipline.

The paved runway is actually 4000 feet long, but is narrow with a hump in the middle and has a 5-story high French chateau-style resort hotel located very close to one of the runway touchdown zones, which you'll aim for via a hole in the trees... :shock: Because the resort is private, you need to call 724-329-8555 and let them know you're coming for lunch before landing there.

And if your DA40's G1000 is equipped with TAWS-B terrain warning, you'll get a constant annunciation of "TERRAIN! TERRAIN! PULL UP!" since the G1000 doesn't have the airport in its database -- it thinks you're going to crash into one of the wooded hills. :D (Note: Turn off the "bitchin' Betty" before landing.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
c2mlp
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by c2mlp »

A few weekends ago I flew down to Ocean City, MD for the day. There is a car rental facility at the airport and the attendant was very friendly. We rented a Jaguar for $35 cash for the day. Visited Assateague Island, saw the wild ponies, then drove down and visited NASA Wallops Flight Facility. The last thing we did was drive into Ocean City, MD. I must say that I was not impressed with the boardwalk, I felt it was much "less refined" than the boardwalk at Ocean City, NJ. Overall I rate the trip a 3/5. Interesting for the right type of person.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Ocean City, MD was one of the first places my wife and I flew after we both got our Private licenses. We've gone there multiple times for $100 hamburgers (actually seafood) by flying into the airport, and then calling for one of the local taxis for the 5 minute ride to the boardwalk and food.

We like Harrisons Harbor Watch restaurant because (as the name suggests) you can look out the window and watch all the boats going into and out of the harbor. It's located at the very southern end of the boardwalk.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI