New England Fall

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Mchargmg
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matthew
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports: KAPA

New England Fall

Post by Mchargmg »

Hi folks,

My better half has expressed interest in flying to New England this fall to see "real fall colors." We live in Colorado, and while the aspen are very pretty, she misses the New England colors.

We had hoped to fly to Devils Tower today, but alas it is snow all the way to the Wyoming border. So, rather than fly, I am posting to see if anyone has suggestions on when to fly to see great colors? Here in Colorado it is late September.

Suggestions about locations to visit would also be welcome. We really like visiting little airport FBO's, so make sure you include your favorite small town airport.

All the best.

Geoff
c2mlp
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N681DS (40.611)
Airports: N14

Re: New England Fall

Post by c2mlp »

Lake Placid, NY (LKP) or nearby Adirondack Regional (SLK) are two great airports in northern New York. Lake Placid is closer to a town, but SLK is larger and has Jet A. Mountainous terrain, but probably nothing you aren't used to out in CO. The best time for leaf peeping is late September/early October. Days can often be overcast and showery, but if you get a clear day, it's just amazing. Hiking, and kayaking/canoeing are typical fall activities in the area. (Lake Placid also hosted the olympics twice, so you can always tour the venues.)
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Oh - be sure and drop me a line if you are going to KSLK and KLKP - those are 36nm from me as the crow flies, from KPTD. I go there all the time by land (when sky and ice is low for skiing) and by air when the sun shines. Great towns. KLKP is a cute ski town with an olympic skating long track speedskating oval made famous by Eric Heiden in 1980, and all the rest of the venues to hold an olympics. One unusual olympic thing - you make down wind to base turn literally like 500 feet over the top of the larger ski jump - first time you do it it feels as if you are heading straight for that tall structure - but you aren't if you are at proper pattern.
c2mlp
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N681DS (40.611)
Airports: N14

Post by c2mlp »

I actually have a vacation home in LP, and live down in south jersey (N14). We have been driving up to visit the Adirondacks since the late 80's. Just bought a DA40 last June and am LOVING the 2 hour flights vs. the 6+ hour drives. Beautiful there year round. Haven't really been any where else outside of the Adirondack and NY region. Hoping to take a flight to Bar Harbor sometime this summer.
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Very nice c2mlp. I will look for you next time I am up there. Nice place to have a house getaway!
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

I was there just yesterday! I love this place. The FBO called the Lake Placid Express for us and we had a free shuttle at the airport in less than 5 minutes. They drove us into town for a nice lunch at The Cottage ( http://www.mirrorlakeinn.com/dining-cottage.cfm ) and took us back to the airport right after.

A few friends of mine based in Canada make an annual trip in late september/early october with their gliders and a towplane and they spend an entire week camping on the airport and gliding every day on the mountain updrafts and taking in the beautiful scenery. I took a few pictures when I visited them last year:

The airport with the ski jumps in the background: Image

The colors (and some guy who happens to own a DA40):

Seen from the air (sorry about the glare):

A (blurry) picture of the gliders with the tents on the left hand side:
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

We also have great fall colors in Upper Michigan for those who live closer than New England.