DA42 from Germany to Oshkosh

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Re: DA42 from Germany to Oshkosh

Post by carym »

CFIDave wrote: But we're still coming -- I'm sitting in St. Louis right now waiting for low ceilings here to lift so we can fly our DA42 to Oshkosh possibly today (Wed) or at the latest Thursday morning (we expect to be there through Sunday.) But we'll have to park our aircraft somewhere out in the grass along with thousands of other planes in the General Aviation Parking area located at the far north end of the field.
Dave (et al),
I will be coming in tomorrow (Thursday) for one day and I park at Basler because the grass is somewhat problematic for me. Here is the grass issue: Several years ago I was willing to park on the grass. As with everyone else, I was being given directions by the ground marshals. Apparently, they did not realize that the DA42 has a wide wing span and so that during taxiing they kept me very close to the parked planes. I hit a rut in the grass that made the plane move a bit to the left. As a consequence my wing tip hit the wing tip of a Cessna Cardinal. I didn't know it at the time, but as soon as I was parked other EAA marshals came to me and informed me of the event. There was no real damage to my plane (a small scratch on the winglet that was trivial to repair), but it cost me $10,000 in repairs to the Cardinal. I learned my lesson and will avoid grass as much as possible (especially at EAA). The small ramp fee at Basler is well worth the piece of mind.

See you on Thursday. Give me a call on my cell so we can get together around lunch (651-528-9365).

Cary
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
hkavasch
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: D-GDON
Airports: EDMQ

Post by hkavasch »

We are camping close to the Hilton. I think this is close to basler. Would be great to meet you. I can be reached on my cell under +49 175 576 8367
Hans Kavasch
Flying Club MDG (http://www.edmq.de), Germany
DA40TDI 2.0s CD155, G1000, D4.325, D-EDKY
DA42 2.0 CD135, 42.049, D-GDON
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Airports:

Post by Aart »

Hi Hans,
Assuming you are back by now. Will you post a trip report, would be nice!
I am also looking at doing this trip next year, so your experiences would be very welcome..
Thanks..
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
hkavasch
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: D-GDON
Airports: EDMQ

Post by hkavasch »

Indeed we are back now... after a fantastic trip.. We had 4 main trips:

1.) From Germany to Oshkosh
2.) Oshkosh to Bahamas
3.) Bahamas to NYC with a spectacular flight along the hudson river and around the statue of liberty
4.) From NYC back to Germany
about 80hours total... and the most important thing... NO PROBLEMS.. neither technical, nor weather, or anything else.. JUST FUN

Once we returned, another club member took the plane immediatly for a trip to Spain. yesterday it came back and was then flown to Austria for maintenance.

Of course I will post a trip report.. but currently still busy with finalizing a short movie.
After the flight is before the flight... so we started to have first discussions on next years trip.. Alaska was mentioned.. :-)
Hans Kavasch
Flying Club MDG (http://www.edmq.de), Germany
DA40TDI 2.0s CD155, G1000, D4.325, D-EDKY
DA42 2.0 CD135, 42.049, D-GDON
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

Wow what a trip!

That Bahamas to Linz video was what first got me thinking about getting a 42. Can't wait to see your video!

hkavasch wrote:Indeed we are back now... after a fantastic trip.. We had 4 main trips:

1.) From Germany to Oshkosh
2.) Oshkosh to Bahamas
3.) Bahamas to NYC with a spectacular flight along the hudson river and around the statue of liberty
4.) From NYC back to Germany
about 80hours total... and the most important thing... NO PROBLEMS.. neither technical, nor weather, or anything else.. JUST FUN

Once we returned, another club member took the plane immediatly for a trip to Spain. yesterday it came back and was then flown to Austria for maintenance.

Of course I will post a trip report.. but currently still busy with finalizing a short movie.
After the flight is before the flight... so we started to have first discussions on next years trip.. Alaska was mentioned.. :-)
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a