Churchill, MB (CYYQ) - Sept 2014

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Doug
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Doug
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

Post by Doug »

Hopefully here's some pictures and light commentary!
CYPA
CYPA
First stop was at Prince Albert, SK, CYPA, for fuel and a break. Had to shoot a full approach.
CYYQ
CYYQ
Next stop was Churchill, MB, CYYQ, once again had to fly a full approach but managed to hit the 9000' runway with a 30kt headwind. Was a cold reception in Churchill! Jet fuel was $2.00/L or just over $8.00/USG, no AvGas available. Called the hotel, Tundra Inn, and they came and picked us up. Its about a 10 min ride from the airport to town. We got checked in, arranged for a guide in the morning, had supper and went to bed.
Cannon
Cannon
In the morning we started our tour at an old fort / battery site guarding the Churchill river. We also saw several Beluga whales.
Cub
Cub
Momma
Momma
Momma & Cub
Momma & Cub
Next was on the look for Polar Bears, we were a bit early for the main season but we did find a momma and cub that were hiding in the rocks. We were about 100 ft away.

More next post
Doug Thompson
CYXH - Medicine Hat, AB
Comm, ME, IFR
Doug
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Doug »

Ship
Ship
We then went out to the old rocket launch pads and Northern research centre. This old ship is still standing.
Plane crash
Plane crash
On the way back we did come across an old plane that crash many years ago short of the airport.
Beach
Beach
Here's the local beach but not many bikini's..
Northern Lights
Northern Lights
That night it cleared up around midnight and we were given a great Northern Lights display.
Leaving CYYQ
Leaving CYYQ
Leaving Churchill
We were in the air at 10:00am Sunday for the trek back home. Planned on stopping at Thompson, CYTH, for a break and then Saskatoon, CYXE, for fuel and lunch before heading back to Medicine Hat, CYXH.

More on next post
Doug Thompson
CYXH - Medicine Hat, AB
Comm, ME, IFR
Doug
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Re: Churchill, MB (CYYQ) - Sept 2014

Post by Doug »

CYTH Approach
CYTH Approach
It was a rough trip to Thompson, icing most of the trip and then an approach into a 400' ceiling. On top of the that the donut and coffee shop was closed! I was a quick turn and back into the air for Saskatoon. For you AvGas burners, Thompson is pretty much the last place to get 100LL as you head north.
The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful as the cloud cleared about 80 miles out of Thompson.
Tucked In
Tucked In
It was a great trip and but always glad to be back home.
Doug Thompson
CYXH - Medicine Hat, AB
Comm, ME, IFR