3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: lots
Airports: CYQM CYFC CYYR CYTH

Re: New to Forum, Here for TKS

Post by Spinner »

Hello Joel:

Just wondering if any headway has been made to have the DA42 system approved in Canada?

according to Transport Canada's type certificate:
TC.JPG
thanks,

Paul
CAVIceProtection
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NONAPP
Airports: KIXD

Post by CAVIceProtection »

Charles, Antoine, Erik and Colin, thank you for your interest in TKS.

We currently do not have any releasable programs to develop a TKS system for the DA40. Our engineers are constantly working on developing new ice protection systems for a number of aircraft models, and we maintain a database of aircraft owners and operators interested in specific models such as the DA40. PM your contact information (First Name, Last Name, Email, Phone), which will not be disclosed to any third party, and it will be added to the database. We will contact you if there's releasable information regarding any DA40 developments.

Best regards,

Joel Jackson
CAV Ice Protection
Last edited by CAVIceProtection on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAVIceProtection
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Spinner wrote:Hello Joel:

Just wondering if any headway has been made to have the DA42 system approved in Canada?

according to Transport Canada's type certificate:

TC.JPG

thanks,

Paul
Hello Paul,

Diamond Aircraft is the TC holder and the resource of the requested information.

Best regards,

Joel Jackson
CAV Ice Protection
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: lots
Airports: CYQM CYFC CYYR CYTH

Post by Spinner »

Hey Joel:

That question has been posed to Diamond Canada without a real solid answer given. I was hoping that you might have some inside information.

thanks
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Post by N503TS »

Joel
Did you get my windshield pump for overhaul? I have not heard back.

Looking at how complex the system is I think $15k would be a bargain for a DA40 install. The 42 leading edge for the wings are molded to accept the stainless inserts- 40 is not so a retrofit is probably not cost effective. I wonder if it was a $60-$70k option on a DA40 if people would take the option to make it cost effective for the factory to support it?
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

I agree Phil.
I did chat with a CAV representative at Aero Friedrichshafen a few years ago. A non FIKI system would cost a lot more than 15 K, sadly. More like 35K IF some orders were put on the table upfront.
This is why I asked about "just" a prop de-ice which would still give us some escape thrust, some windshield protection and have a moderate impact on useful load.
Having both solutions priced will help sense the market.
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Antoine wrote:I agree Phil.
I did chat with a CAV representative at Aero Friedrichshafen a few years ago. A non FIKI system would cost a lot more than 15 K, sadly. More like 35K IF some orders were put on the table upfront.
This is why I asked about "just" a prop de-ice which would still give us some escape thrust, some windshield protection and have a moderate impact on useful load.
Having both solutions priced will help sense the market.
I think it is on the order of 35-40k for the inadvertent system on a Mooney and ~60k for the fiki system. I see no reason why a DA40 would be any less.
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Post by N503TS »

CAVIceProtection wrote:Hello everyone,

I work for CAV Ice Protection, the company responsible for the design and manufacture of the TKS Ice Protection System on the Diamond DA42 and DA62. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have regarding the system and I'll do my best to answer. You can also find out more information and contact us through our website. In addition, I plan to share TKS maintenance tips which will hopefully be beneficial to you and mean a long lifespan for your plane.

Best regards,

Joel Jackson
CAV Ice Protection
Joel,
My windshield pump was a CAV Aerospace: WP209A serial # ASTO6J347 and I sent to Lainnie Jackson as I was discussing the repair with her in December. USPS tracking 9405803699300365602475 says it was delivered December 19th but I have not heard anything from your company on cost of repair etc? Tried responding in a PM but it did not send.

Phil
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
CAVIceProtection
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

N503TS wrote:
CAVIceProtection wrote:Hello everyone,

I work for CAV Ice Protection, the company responsible for the design and manufacture of the TKS Ice Protection System on the Diamond DA42 and DA62. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have regarding the system and I'll do my best to answer. You can also find out more information and contact us through our website. In addition, I plan to share TKS maintenance tips which will hopefully be beneficial to you and mean a long lifespan for your plane.

Best regards,

Joel Jackson
CAV Ice Protection
Joel,
My windshield pump was a CAV Aerospace: WP209A serial # ASTO6J347 and I sent to Lainnie Jackson as I was discussing the repair with her in December. USPS tracking 9405803699300365602475 says it was delivered December 19th but I have not heard anything from your company on cost of repair etc? Tried responding in a PM but it did not send.

Phil
Hi Phil,

Thank you for providing the helpful information. My colleague David works in the Repair Station and will be contacting you soon.

Kind regards,
Joel