4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Lycoming Mandatory Service Bulletin

Post by Sandy »

Lycoming just issued a Mandatory Service Bulletin that affects numerous engines, including (based on Sec. No.) the IO-360-M1A used in our DA40's. See, http://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/f ... oval_0.pdf to see if your Ser. No. is affected.

Sandy
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Re: Lycoming Mandatory Service Bulletin

Post by smoss »

I've got a late 2006 XL, and S/N L-32930-51A. Looks like the S/N range probably corresponds to very new engines considering the spare parts date range is 2015-2017 (but really no clue). The S/N's of the affected all end in -51E.
Steve
DA40 XL
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

The SN of engine in my 2005 is L-31861-51A, so (thankfully) it's not on the list, either.

Sandy
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

It looks like if you've had a recent overhaul or even a reassembly since late 2015 this could be a problem regardless of serial number because of defective replacement parts. I know of a Cardinal owner who had a recent overhaul who may be in this pickle based on a recent diagnosis of an odd noise in one of the cylinders.

I had a bunch of work done but fortunately for me it was in Spring 2015, before the ship date of the suspected spare parts.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

Don't have my serial number handy. I have a late 2010. I am hoping that my engine is not involved. Looks like a fairly big task type service bulletin.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Don wrote:Don't have my serial number handy. I have a late 2010. I am hoping that my engine is not involved. Looks like a fairly big task type service bulletin.
This only affects engines with connecting rod bushings and assemblies manufactured between November 2015 and February 2017, so you should be fine.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

New AD Affecting Lycoming IO-360-M1A

Post by rwtucker »

I just received this AD. It looks like it might apply to certain serial numbers and/or engines overhauled with certain parts.
We have received 5 reports of uncontained engine failures and IFSDs due to failed connecting
rods on various models of Lycoming Engines reciprocating engines listed in Table 1 of Lycoming
Engines Mandatory Service Bulletin (MSB) No. 632B, dated August 4, 2017, that were overhauled or
repaired using any replacement part listed in Table 2 of Lycoming Engines MSB No. 632B, dated
August 4, 2017, which was shipped from Lycoming Engines during the dates listed in Table 2 of
Lycoming Engines MSB No. 632B, dated August 4, 2017. This AD requires accomplishing the
instructions in Lycoming Engines MSB No. 632B, dated August 4, 2017, except for the instruction to
complete the online survey as specified in the MSB. This condition, if not corrected, could result in
uncontained engine failure, total engine power loss, IFSD, and possible loss of the airplane. We are
issuing this AD to prevent connecting rod failure.
Because the above language is possibly not clear, applies to:
(1) Engines with a serial number listed in Table 1 of this Service Bulletin
(2) Engines that have been overhauled or repaired that could contain
connecting rod assemblies or connecting rod bushings shipped from
Lycoming during dates identified in Table 2 of this Service Bulletin
Attachments
SB632B Connecting Rod Identification.pdf
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
2017-16-11.pdf
(107.15 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

This is a *huge* deal for any affected aircraft. :cry:

In an email last week to anyone registered on his Savvy.com site, Mike Busch strongly recommended getting this work done at a good engine shop with the engine out of the aircraft:
Mike Busch wrote:The rod bolts are the most highly-stressed component in the entire engine, and tightening them properly is ultra-critical. In my opinion and the opinion of every highly experienced A&P/IA I’ve spoken with, this is NOT work that should be attempted by line mechanics in the field working on engines mounted in airplanes. It really should be done only by an experienced technician in an engine shop with the engine mounted on a stand with unencumbered access.
Chris