Transitioning to DA42 questions

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ncrcurios

Re: Transitioning to DA42 questions

Post by ncrcurios »

Thank you for all your feedback.
Well, it looks like the aircraft for the training will have to go through the 2000 hours maintenance and not sure for how long. In the meantime, winter is fast approaching and my work schedule is very busy here.

Where do you recommend DA42 training within the Northeastern US?
I am looking for a facility that doesn't have complicated airspaces, favorable weather, aircraft availability, and economical.
I have my multi engine/IFR ratings from Transport Canada.
Do I have to convert to a FAA license for that DA42 training purposes?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

For DA42 training in the northeastern US, I can suggest 2 flight schools:
- Take Flight Aviation, Orange County Airport, NY (KMGJ, about 60 miles north of NYC); they have a DA42 NG
- Princeton Flying School, Princeton, NJ Airport (39N); they have a DA42 TDI
Both are outside of busy NYC airspace (but Princeton is affected by Trump TFRs when he visits his golf course in NJ).

Since you already have Canadian multi engine/IFR ratings, you should be able to fly in the US without an FAA license. However because of TSA requirements, a US flight school might need to vet you with a security background check before providing flight training.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
nscrcurious

Post by nscrcurious »

Thank you for your info, CFIDAVE....
How long is the vetting process?....even as a US citizen?
I still file 1040 annually.
I ran away this far from the US 2008 deep recession :scream: to find a job many years ago.
I am familiar with G1000; however, for a scaredy cat/nervous type person like me, how many hours will typically take to convert from Seminole to DA42?

CFIDave wrote:For DA42 training in the northeastern US, I can suggest 2 flight schools:
- Take Flight Aviation, Orange County Airport, NY (KMGJ, about 60 miles north of NYC); they have a DA42 NG
- Princeton Flying School, Princeton, NJ Airport (39N); they have a DA42 TDI
Both are outside of busy NYC airspace (but Princeton is affected by Trump TFRs when he visits his golf course in NJ).

Since you already have Canadian multi engine/IFR ratings, you should be able to fly in the US without an FAA license. However because of TSA requirements, a US flight school might need to vet you with a security background check before providing flight training.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

nscrcurious wrote:I am familiar with G1000; however, for a scaredy cat/nervous type person like me, how many hours will typically take to convert from Seminole to DA42?
My insurance required 5 hours of DA42 time with instructor as I had about 700 hours of C310 time. I felt easily comfortable (although not proficient) in those 5 hours. OEI is pretty easy in the DA42 since the engines are close in to the fuselage and the prop "auto feathers" when engine is turned off. Otherwise, simulation of feathered prop is done with power set to 15-20%.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

nscrcurious wrote:How long is the vetting process?....even as a US citizen?
I still file 1040 annually.
I mistakenly assumed you were a Canadian citizen wanting to train at a US flight school. US citizens only have to show their US Passport to the flight school, and then only when training towards a pilot's certificate.
(FYI, to enforce all of this, all US CFIs that provide flight training have to undergo security awareness training every year in order to meet TSA requirements. See https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1552.23 This all went into effect after 9/11.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ncrcurious

Post by ncrcurious »

Hi Cary;
What did you do for those 5 hours?
Thank You
carym wrote: My insurance required 5 hours of DA42 time with instructor as I had about 700 hours of C310 time. I felt easily comfortable (although not proficient) in those 5 hours. OEI is pretty easy in the DA42 since the engines are close in to the fuselage and the prop "auto feathers" when engine is turned off. Otherwise, simulation of feathered prop is done with power set to 15-20%.
ncrcurious

Post by ncrcurious »

I spoke to that KMGJ FTU. They quoted me DA42NG is 250 hours total time and 20 hours time in type.
Kind of $$$$....or did I ask a wrong question?
Now I am a bit cautious regarding TSA requirements (B) Unusual questions or interest regarding aircraft capabilities;
Thank you for your help, folks.
CFIDave wrote: I mistakenly assumed you were a Canadian citizen wanting to train at a US flight school. US citizens only have to show their US Passport to the flight school, and then only when training towards a pilot's certificate.
(FYI, to enforce all of this, all US CFIs that provide flight training have to undergo security awareness training every year in order to meet TSA requirements. See https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1552.23 This all went into effect after 9/11.)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

ncrcurious wrote:I spoke to that KMGJ FTU. They quoted me DA42NG is 250 hours total time and 20 hours time in type.
Kind of $$$$....or did I ask a wrong question?]
I presume that's what it takes to rent the DA42NG as PIC to meet the flight school's insurance requirements. But if you're just looking for DA42 transition training, you'll have a CFI with you as PIC and presumably you won't have to meet those hourly requirements.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

ncrcurious wrote:Hi Cary;
What did you do for those 5 hours?
Thank You
carym wrote: My insurance required 5 hours of DA42 time with instructor as I had about 700 hours of C310 time. I felt easily comfortable (although not proficient) in those 5 hours. OEI is pretty easy in the DA42 since the engines are close in to the fuselage and the prop "auto feathers" when engine is turned off. Otherwise, simulation of feathered prop is done with power set to 15-20%.
We just did the "usual": airplane familiarization, take-offs, landings with different flap configurations, a few approaches, some single engine work (although that was minimal because the airplane and engines were brand new). I just needed 5 hours of dual in my log book to satisfy insurance requirements. I suspect it was minimal because 1) I was the aircraft owner, and 2) because I had over 700 hours of twin time and about 1300 hours total time.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
alexair101
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Alex
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: DGIFT
Airports:

Post by alexair101 »

ncrcurious wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:00 pm Hi Dave;
Coming from Seminole, I usually pitch slightly nose up +/ 5 degree during the flare. However, I bounced using the same technique at 80-ish KIAS (short final) on that DA42.
Any tip?
How much pitch do I flare?
Thank you so much.
CFIDave wrote: ................
4. The nice thing is that the DA42 trailing-link landing gear generally "absorbs" rather than "bounces," making you a hero to your passengers on every landing. :)
Interesting that the topic of bounce came up a few times in the thread. I have done to my surprise fairly well with my landings throughout the training, but also experienced a bounce during the first time I went on my own with pax.

Reviewed a short video filmed by passenger about 100 times and still can't figure out what caused the bounce, although, I would note that it is only left gear that bounced, which made it even more uncomfortable.

11 kts full crosswind, I tried to hold it off for as long as I could so the stall warner sounded for 2+ seconds throughout the flare, standby ASI showing 71 knots. Would really appreciate advice and opinions on this.

Video available for download here: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0c3y ... IMG_5769_2