3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Keeping CHT temps in range on climb-out

Post by dwurfel »

Hi all. Would like to get some tips on keeping CHT's lower during my climb-outs. Currently approaching 400 degrees to slightly above on some climb-outs. Have reduced power and enriched at times with some success. On reaching altitude everything is in 340-360 at 65%. Curious is I am doing a cross country my second take-off and climb-out the CHT never get above 380. Also, outside temps do not really affect the temps. Any advice would be appreciated. :)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Keeping CHT temps in range on climb-out

Post by CFIDave »

David: Your DA40 engine temperatures appear to be normal -- they're certainly consistent with the many DA40s I've flown. Temps (in the climb only) will occasionally rise just slightly above 400 degrees on very hot days, but otherwise can be maintained around 380 or less during cruise.

The only thing I can add to keep CHTs under control during climb is to reduce your climb rate (i.e., lower the nose to increase airspeed and hence cooling airflow through the engine). I typically target 90 knots IAS for DA40 cruise climbs (which is very easy to do if you've got a newer DA40 with GFC700 autopilot with FLC feature), but you can climb more slowly at a higher speed if needed to lower CHTs.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

+1 for above
Steve
DA40 XL
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Thats what I do - 95 KIAS in climb (terrain permitting). Never see CHT >390, even in TX in the summer.

Steve
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

dwurfel wrote:Would like to get some tips on keeping CHT's lower during my climb-outs.
Hi David -

As suggested, increasing IAS is generally the best in-cockpit defense. But baffling has a *huge* impact on CHT. Leaks are common and very easy to fix.

See these threads:
  • Page 20 from Brock's supercharger thread: link. This was extremely helpful to me.
  • Long thread on CHT: link
  • Baffle success story: link
Also, if your CHTs are not similar in cruise, balancing the injectors ("GAMIs") can help.

Chris
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Ditto other comments David. On hot days, low altitudes, heavy loads, etc. my CHTs sometimes creep over 400 before I notice and bring them back down by lowering the nose and sometimes the power. I can recall a few situations where I had to settle for 100-200 FPM climb to stay under 400. Completely normal so far as I know. Our DA40s have pretty small noses.
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

I've had this problem, too. It's worse when I'm heavily loaded (say, with a 250-lb husband in the right seat). Run rich, keep the nose down, and accept a v e r y s l o w climb rate, and you're fine. I'm also doing a little better since I got the magnetos re-tuned (it worsened markedly after a rebuild last spring), and went to a multi-weight oil. Also had the baffles checked, thanks to this thread.

So there's a lot you can do. Nice to see that I'm not the only one who's gotten into the habit of watching CHTs like a hawk during climb-out.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dwurfel »

Thanks everyone for your input. Your suggestions have helped alot and have helped me keep everything in check during climb. One interesting fact for me is the rise in CHT in climb out only occurs during the first flight of the day. On subsequent take-offs the same day with the engine still warm I do not see the same rise. CHT's maybe rise to 365-375.
Curious.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I defer to any engine expert here, but I would think that has to do with the viscosity of the oil and it's slower movement through the engine. I assume you are waiting for it to hit 100F before you depart.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dwurfel »

My personal rule is not to start engine if the oil is cooler than 40 degrees ( normally keep it on a engine and oil pan heater
in winter 24 hours prior to flight ), lean engine right after start, start the engine run up at 95 degrees, and take-off engine oil is in the 110 to 120 range. Love to hear comments. By the way I use Aeroshell Multi-Viscosity. Nice DA-40 Colin.