New DA40 XLT unavailable

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ZAV

New DA40 XLT unavailable

Post by ZAV »

I called Diamond Canada to get info on purchasing a new DA40 XLT. They aren’t taking XLT orders at the moment, only NG’s.

Anyone have knowledge about this? Permanent or temporary? Reason?
shorton
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N68MJ
Airports: KSNA

Re: New DA40 XLT unavailable

Post by shorton »

I had the same experience a little more than a year ago. I was hoping things would change with new ownership. In my opinion, Diamond has not been very transparent about their future intentions with the Lycoming DA40.
Scott Horton, JD CPA
ATP, FAA Gold Seal CFI, CFII, MEI
https://orangecountyflightinstruction.com
KSNA, Orange County, CA
ZAV

Post by ZAV »

What did they tell you last year about timing? They told me Q3 this year but not sure if I should believe that.
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

I think Dave (CFIDave) will have the answer to this for sure. Dave could you enlighten us please?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

gordsh wrote:I think Dave (CFIDave) will have the answer to this for sure. Dave could you enlighten us please?
New DA40 XLTs are still available; I even have the latest price/options list for the 2018 DA40 XLT. Diamond Canada is capable of producing DA40 XLTs and DA40 NGs on the same production line (along with new DA62s).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ZAV

Post by ZAV »

Yes. They sent me a price sheet but wouldn’t let me order one. They said they don’t have the NXi certified for the XLT.

Are you aware of new XLT’s being currently ordered and delivered?
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

I would think that from a business stand point, its better business sense to sell an NG versus an XLT bsed on the fact that Diamond makes their own NG engines?
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

ZAV wrote:Yes. They sent me a price sheet but wouldn’t let me order one. They said they don’t have the NXi certified for the XLT.

ZAV, if you really want an XLT you should order it through [CFIDave]....seriously!!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

ZAV wrote:Yes. They sent me a price sheet but wouldn’t let me order one. They said they don’t have the NXi certified for the XLT.

What you've been told by the factory about NXi certification would explain why they won't take your XLT order. New DA40 NGs are shipping with G1000 NXi, but I haven't delivered a new DA40 XLT since the NXi became standard on all new G1000 aircraft last year (and Garmin doesn't sell "legacy" G1000's for new aircraft anymore).

If an order for a DA40 XLT were placed now, the G1000 NXi *might* be certified in the XLT by the time of delivery -- but it's risky to predict when certification authorities like the FAA will approve anything. In the meantime the factory can't build uncertified aircraft, and they have relatively long lead times for ordering components, so it makes sense that they can't take an XLT order yet. The bottom line: This is likely just a timing issue.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ZAV

Post by ZAV »

Thanks for your thoughts.

It just seems real strange that they didn’t certify all the DA40 varieties with the NXi at the same time.

They seem to be leaving new plane orders on the table which seems unfathomable from a business perspective. The only business case for doing this is if they are at 100% production capacity at the factory. If that’s the case, not necessarily a bad thing for Diamond Canada then.