3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nir
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KPAO

OnePak / PilotPak

Post by Nirbm01 »

Hello,

I am about to renew my DB, until today I used Jeppesen, talked with Garmin today and found out they they are selling OnePak with their own Nav data, the tech on the phone support said that it is almost the same as Jeppesen with less private airport details, I wonder if some of you using Garmin OnePak and how easy it to install comparing to Jeppesen?

Thanks,
Nir
40flyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N418AM
Airports: 6D6

Re: OnePak / PilotPak

Post by 40flyer »

There is no installation difference between the Garmin and Jepp NDBs as far as I know. I believe Jepp does include private airports which Garmin does not.
bfisher
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Bryce
Aircraft Registration: N815DS
Airports: KHRJ

Post by bfisher »

I've been using the Garmin OnePak for 7 months now, and I have been happy. I haven't run across any situations where I would have needed the Jeppesen version while flying up and down the east coast. One other difference to note is that the OnePak charts use the FAA symbology for everything instead of the Jeppesen symbology.
Kurt h
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kurt
Aircraft Registration: N278CM
Airports: KEFD

Post by Kurt h »

Same here, made the transition and saved about $200 versus the Jepp pack I had been buying. No issues noted thus far. It is a few more key strokes to log in to Garmin Flight versus using the Jepp software to update the sd card, but maybe 2 more minutes so definitely worth it.

Installation in the plane with the sd card is identical to Jepp.
Kurt
2004 DA40.391
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

(Nir is having DAN log-in issues and asked me to post on his behalf. )

After updating the G1000, this screen greets Nir at every boot. Most things seem to work, but TAWS fails (red box) and this repetitive boot screen clearly is not normal.

Any tips from others on DAN that have switched from Jeppesen to Garmin?
G1000 boot screen.jpg
TomJ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: TomJ
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1169N
Airports: KGTU

Post by TomJ »

After updating the G1000, this screen greets Nir at every boot. Most things seem to work, but TAWS fails (red box) and this repetitive boot screen clearly is not normal.
I don't know about the TAWS failure, but I'd see this same annoying set of notifications until I realized that the NAV data card should not be left in the PFD's top slot.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

That's the issue: you have SD cards in there that have been updated and/or shouldn't be left in the slots.

While I am sure you know all this, I'll write it here just in case.

The G1000 update sequence is a little messy with two different updates happening on multiple SD cards. Garmin does a poor job of explaining it, but there is no difference between upper and lower slots except these: if a card is left in it, the upper MFD slot is used for checklists and engine data recording and the PFD and MFD require a card to be left in which has terrain, obstacles, charts, etc. (but not navigation).

Let's pretend we have 3 SD cards: a) nav data transfer / log data / checking ("the top card"), b) PFD permanent data ("lower PFD"), and c) MFD permanent data ("lower MFD").

Use the Garmin desktop system to update any / all of the cards; it will prompt you as necessary. For only nav data, you just update the top card and, in sequence, insert this top card into the PFD top slot, turn on the G1000, accept the database copy, turn off the G1000 once finished, insert it into the MFD top slop, turn on the G1000, and accept the database copy. You then LEAVE the top card in the MFD with checklist and engine logging as desired. Once the databases have been copied, this card will be generally ignored as a new data source.

For all of the other databases -- terrain, charts, airport, obstacles -- these are updated on the "lower" cards on the desktop and then inserted in the lower PFD and MFD slots and left. On update, the system will confirm the updates.

If you are seeing a mess like your illustration then you should wipe the lower cards (format them) and rebuild them with the Garmin app. Re-install all of the databases, except the navigation data, of course. While unnecessary, I keep full sets of databases on both PFD and MFD cards.

Don't forget that SVT / TAWS-B requires the right terrain dataset depending upon the software level. Too coarse or too fine will cause terrain system failure messages.
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

Hello Kurt,

I am interested in your comment about Garmin being cheaper than Jeppesen: my international G1000 navdata coverage is ~$560 per year. But this is navdata only - no terrain, no airport, no obstacles, no IFR/VFR charts, no safetaxi, no basemap.
I have not been too worried about the terrain update (hoping it won't change too much!) and use the standard freely available charts in Europe; I have not had any issues with taxi location [a lot of UK airfields are not large]; the basemap is built into the G1000 [airspace etc.].
Having had a quick look on the Garmin site there doesn't appear to be an equivalent - the "International Standard" includes a lot more but also costs around double ($997 per year). I haven't been concerned about the lack of the other features, but am I missing something here?

Recommendations anyone on the Garmin charts etc.? If you go for this does it replace the G1000 basemap and then add all these other things? A bit concerned also about the report of losing TAWS..

Mine is a 2007 XL with G1000 (non-WAAS), GFC700, TAS-600 TAWS-B

Thanks
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Use of Garmin OnePak (including Garmin's NavData) instead of PilotPak (including Jepp's NavData) bundles to save money generally applies to North America where Garmin NavData is readily available. In other parts of the world you may not have a choice and thus have to use Jeppesen NavData.

I agree with Peter that the problems shown above can be caused by leaving the SDCard being used to load NavData in the top slot; it should be removed after loading into G1000 memory.

To avoid problems, I recommend the use of 4 SDCards for "legacy" G1000s (NXi is very different; it needs only a loader card and a flight logging card):

1. PFD Bottom Card: This card stays in the G1000 PFD bottom slot all the time, and includes every database file EXCEPT NavData (important) and approach charts (which instead belong on the MFD Bottom Card.) Because this card is used all the time by the G1000, legally it should be a TSO'd Garmin card, but SDCards from other vendors will work just fine.

2. MFD Bottom Card: This card stays in the G1000 MFD bottom slot all the time, and includes every database file EXCEPT NavData (important). This is where the IFR approach charts go (assuming you subscribe to them; I don't because I instead use approach charts on my iPad). This card also includes the electronic checklist file for your DA40/DA42. Because this card is used all the time by the G1000, legally it should be a TSO'd Garmin card, but SDCards from other vendors will work just fine.

3. NavData Loader Card: This card is used to load a new NavData file into the top slots of both the PFD and MFD every 28 days so that the file is installed in G1000 internal memory. Insert card, start G1000, wait for NavData file to load, shut off G1000, and REMOVE card (do this separately for PFD and then MFD). It is NOT inserted into the G1000 when the plane is flown; remove and store the card elsewhere. Since this card is used only for loading it doesn't have to be a Garmin TSO'd card.

4. Flight Logging Card: This optional card is kept in the MFD top slot when flying, and is used to write 59 G1000 flight and engine parameters/second onto a log file that is created on the card for each flight. You can remove the card to copy these files to your computer for upload to various websites for analysis of your flights. (Note: some older G1000 software may not support this flight data logging function.) This doesn't have to be a Garmin TSO'd card.

Newer G1000 software will synchronize some files across PFD and MFD. It will also let you load NavData files prior to their effective date, when the G1000 will temporarily write these files to the bottom slot cards that are always present in the G1000. After their effective date, when you start the G1000 these NavData files are automatically copied to G1000 internal memory. Do NOT load NavData files to the bottom cards yourself; let the G1000 do this (again for NavData files prior to their effective date).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »