3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

DA 20 owner/fan love flying it.. stories

Post by YCCA »

So I’m new but I have noticed that the DA-20 part of this forum is pretty quiet. I’m thinking it’s mostly because they are all in flight schools.. Nevertheless, I love mine and it is a 9.0 on my fun scale, as opposed to a 3.5 with the piper warrior I owned.. Granted mine is in my flight school but I absolutely love flying it.. I’ve had issues with hot starts, low oil temp, and CHT temp. I’ve seen the answers on here so I’m not trying to rehash something I can read.. what I am impressed with is the speed and fun of this little trainer.. I’ve seen, no shit, 135kts, straight and level, with wheel pants on... it just seems like the plane fits you and does exactly what you want until it can, then exactly what you expect from that point forward. I’m thoroughly impressed with this two seat beast and would highly recommend to anyone who is on the fence.. Not that you can find one, but they still are SUPER FUN little trainers. Any thoughts on my potential over exuberance are highly appreciated
okent
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Re: DA 20 owner/fan love flying it.. stories

Post by okent »

My very limited experience with GA aircraft is mostly with a DA20. I've got about 35 hours in one and have flown an 152 and 172 which were nowhere nearly as fun. I'm in the process of trying to buy the DA20 that I've flown and have considered a DA40(though I have zero time in one).
Just a great airplane and can't wait to get back in the air with it again.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

I love my DA20-C1 too. I like it better than the 152, 172 and 182s that I have flown in the past. Much better view out, more responsive handling. The 182 flies (and looks) like a garbage truck in comparison in my humble opinion.

I would have purchased a 172 if my mission included landing on unimproved grass short fields more often though.

I've owned it for a year and a half. My girlfriend and I fly on a regular basis and we are still in the process of exploring the interesting places we can fly to with 3 hours and reserve from Montreal. I don't really need an airplane that could fly longer legs, as my girlfriend's bladder is only good for 3 hours anyway.

I have made friends at my airport, and we do fun activities such as group trips on a regular basis. I beat most of the flock in speed, as most owners fly 1970's Cessnas.

For fun week-end trips for one or two people, it's hard to beat.

On the downsides, I would have to say that the machine is not IFR certified and never will be. I fly in the north east, so haze, fog and clouds are often on the menu and I would dream of having the ability to legally punch through layers of clouds.

For legally flying VFR Over the top in Canada I will need to install a heated pitot (7k$), apparently made of solid gold if price is any indication.

My com 1 antenna is no good, possibly because the grounding gone bad, so I purchased a groundless antenna to be installed inside the vertical fin at annual this winter.

The other problem I need to solve is the oil and CHT staying too cool and the oil pressure being too high at anywhere below 25C OAT. I'm thinking of having the mechanic look at the baffling.

Other than that, the DA20-C1 is a solid machine, with simple systems, a fixed gear and fixed propeller so fewer things can go wrong compared to a more complex airplane.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

I've noticed most forums are mainly about maintenance, things that don't work, etc. So a fairly quiet DA-20 forum might be a good thing :lol:

My DA-20 is currently getting some love at the avionic shop. Saw my first picture today of my panel sporting a Garmin G5 HSI. Sad to see a very capable Sandel 3308 get pulled out but it was near unreadable with its 20 year old projection screen technology.

I'll bite on the "fun of flying" the DA-20 with a new post. Stand by...
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pascal »

Before owning my DA20-C1, Halifax was a fifteen hour drive from Montreal. Boston was a five hour drive. New York city, a six hour drive. Toronto, five and a half hour drive.

All of these destinations that were too far by car for week-end getaways are now within reach on a single tank plus reserve.

All of that on an airplane I purchased for a little over 40k$ usd. May I call that a great value !

Nantucket anyone? 2.5 hours plus a one hour stop in Burlington VT to clear customs. Life is good !
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Post by YCCA »

Pascal wrote:I love my DA20-C1 too. I like it better than the 152, 172 and 182s that I have flown in the past. Much better view out, more responsive handling. The 182 flies (and looks) like a garbage truck in comparison in my humble opinion.

I would have purchased a 172 if my mission included landing on unimproved grass short fields more often though.

I've owned it for a year and a half. My girlfriend and I fly on a regular basis and we are still in the process of exploring the interesting places we can fly to with 3 hours and reserve from Montreal. I don't really need an airplane that could fly longer legs, as my girlfriend's bladder is only good for 3 hours anyway.

I have made friends at my airport, and we do fun activities such as group trips on a regular basis. I beat most of the flock in speed, as most owners fly 1970's Cessnas.

For fun week-end trips for one or two people, it's hard to beat.

On the downsides, I would have to say that the machine is not IFR certified and never will be. I fly in the north east, so haze, fog and clouds are often on the menu and I would dream of having the ability to legally punch through layers of clouds.

For legally flying VFR Over the top in Canada I will need to install a heated pitot (7k$), apparently made of solid gold if price is any indication.

My com 1 antenna is no good, possibly because the grounding gone bad, so I purchased a groundless antenna to be installed inside the vertical fin at annual this winter.

The other problem I need to solve is the oil and CHT staying too cool and the oil pressure being too high at anywhere below 25C OAT. I'm thinking of having the mechanic look at the baffling.

Other than that, the DA20-C1 is a solid machine, with simple systems, a fixed gear and fixed propeller so fewer things can go wrong compared to a more complex airplane.
My CHT and oil temp is exactly the same. I’m buying the winterization kit now
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by RMarkSampson »

The only time my CHT temp = the oil temp is before I start the engine... ;)
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pascal »

YCCA wrote:My CHT and oil temp is exactly the same. I’m buying the winterization kit now
Another option would be to move to Arizona. But I am not ready to retire just yet.
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

Pascal wrote:
YCCA wrote:My CHT and oil temp is exactly the same. I’m buying the winterization kit now
Another option would be to move to Arizona. But I am not ready to retire just yet.
Move to Arizona then there would be no summer flying - too hot!

Pascal, do you have the winter kit?
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by RMarkSampson »

How did we get from the love of flying a DA-20 to frigid winters in the NE?!?

I had the electric engine heater piece of it - not any baffles. The plug was mounted next to the oil cap for easy access to plug in. My A&P removed it when we rewired the engine for the EDM-900. It might be in the corner of the hanagar or I might have chunked it - can’t remember. The wires looked like they had done some heavy duty heating from the previous owner’s Nebraska winters. In Florida, I think I plugged it in once just to see if it worked and didn’t pop a circuit breaker.