Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by ememic99 »

ScottSutton wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:46 am In other news, we're now up to an equipment verification rate of 18%! While reaching 100% will be next to impossible, the higher the percentage rate the better.
I double-checked and confirmed for CD-155 conversion fleet.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Way to go Emir! Thanks to your efforts the verification rate jumped, in the blink of an eye, from 18% to 24%.

Also, it will be interesting to see how many more European based Diamonds sign-up as a result of the link you just posted on the EuroGA forum (to this very thread / topic). Talk about casting a wide net - how great is that!?

To add your Diamond, please click:

HERE and let us know where you heard about this petition drive by posting a quick response.

Finally, a warm welcome to Markus (N280DS) for joining us today, as the verification rate now stands 26% and a 148 total aircraft.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

A special thank you to Jerome Gardet (N166G) and RG Air (N283DS) - as with these two DA40's being added to the list today, we've reached yet another milestone of 150 total aircraft!

Also, my appreciation to the mysterious owner who froze the header rows in the google doc's spreadsheet. Thus making for easier viewing when scrolling the G1000 petition file, with its over 200 rows of information. Clearly this is something I should have done long ago, but just never got around to it - my bad.

Finally, here's an interesting article released today from our good friend Mike Collins, regarding BendixKing unveiling their new integrated flight deck:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... ovue-touch

Any thoughts on how this might, or might not, impact future sales of the G1000?
Last edited by TwinStarScott on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

G1000 sales are virtually all OEM, so unless a manufacturer abandons Garmin, then not much. At $100k for BendixKing it's hard to imagine an OEM for an aircraft that sells for less than $1M being tempted to switch. Maybe this competes with the G3000 or G5000?
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Yes Russ, I think you're right and agree an OEM would have to think long and hard about switching to another avionics manufacturer. However, it will be interesting to see if BendixKing ever decides to compete, at this late stage, in the OEM glass panel market for Class I and Class II aircraft - with an equivalent model to the G1000.

As Mike's article states this current flight deck offering by BendixKing is for Class III aircraft (only), but was thinking this product announcement could lead to other related developments for smaller aircraft.

Which made me brush up on the various classes within Part 23*:

FAA Advisory Circular AC 23.1309-1D. As listed in the AC, the four certification classes of Part 23 airplanes are:

• Class I airplanes, which typically are single reciprocating engine airplanes under 6,000 pounds.

• Class II airplanes, which typically are multiple reciprocating engine, multiple turbine engine and single turbine engine airplanes under 6,000 pounds.

• Class III airplanes, which typically are all Part 23 aircraft equal to or more than 6,000 pounds.

• Class IV airplanes, which typically are commuter category airplanes. All weights are based on maximum certificated gross takeoff weight.

* edited from this source:
https://www.aea.net/AvionicsNews/ANArch ... sNov09.pdf
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

Any news from Aero yet?
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Unfortunately no DAI G1000 news to share yet, Peter - as our DAN reporter had prior business obligations earlier in the week. Speaking of whom, Emir and I just had a brief email exchange as he was about to depart from his home base for the Air Show - touching down sometime later today (Friday).

For now though, here is the most recent AOPA live video, with coverage from Aero in Germany, including footage of the DA50 and the name change for Continental Motors. Finally, be sure to watch the Mike Collins interview later in the broadcast (starts @ ~15:35).

https://aopalive.aopa.org/
Flyboyamin
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Amin
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: SEMKR
Airports: ESGP

Post by Flyboyamin »

One of Diamonds representative during friedrichshafen told me that it is possible to upgrade to G1000 NXi and he is going to send me a quote. (My aircraft is DA42NG)
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

I hope I’ll have summary of available options by the end of this week.
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

Flyboyamin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:09 am One of Diamonds representative during friedrichshafen told me that it is possible to upgrade to G1000 NXi and he is going to send me a quote. (My aircraft is DA42NG)
I had talked to Garmin at Airventure last year, and they are looking at providing an upgrade path to NXi for existing legacy G1000 installations. Don't expect this to be cheap. I imagine it will be in the range of at least $15-20k, as it involves a lot of new hardware.

I am still hoping for just getting "current" G1000 system software for our non-WAAS Da-40.