3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

DA42 shot down

Post by gordsh »

Diamond aircraft, tail number 5N-BNH, belonging to the International Aviation College (IAC), has been brought down in Ilorin, Kwara State after breaching BRF's No-Fly Zone in Northern Nigeria.

https://twitter.com/BiafraRF/status/1124033065607749633
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: DA42 shot down

Post by Rich »

I see a conflicting report on ASN Wiki that shows it as simply a gear-up landing with no injuries. Linked picture shows a basically intact 5N-BNH DA42 (other than sitting really low on the runway :) )
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

I saw that as well and was hoping for the latter. I was thinking could they not intercept the damn plane versus shooting at it....Oh boy!!
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

This link says this same aircraft had a gear-up landing back in 2014, similar circumstances - student and instructor, training flight, same airport, etc. Here is a detailed analysis of that incident, including more pictures. Interesting...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

ememic99 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:19 pm There are several links on this news all stating no casualties and nobody mentions any shooting:
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/breaking- ... lorin.html
https://leadership.ng/2019/05/03/iac-ai ... in-ilorin/
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2 ... n-airport/
Do you follow the developments of the Biafra Revolutionary Forces?

I do and have been followig the news and events for years.

Trust me "brought down" means shot down. They have shot down (or in your case, brought down) many airplanes over the past year. The twitter post also stated that both pilots lost their lives. Any one who knows anything about Biafra events knows that Michele Fishman who made the post is extremely reliable and accurate. Look her up see who she works for and you will understand. I go by her reporting and have for a long time. Just an area of interest in that part of the world for me!
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Let me educate you my friend:

Here are just a few that I compiled for you....

May 2, 2019 - Diamond aircraft, tail number 5N-BNH, brought down in Ilorin, Kwara State after breaching BRF's No-Fly Zone in Northern Nigeria. Both pilots lost their lives.
February 13, 2019 - helicopter carrying military personnel brought down for breaching no fly zone in Kano State, Nigeria,
February 4, 2019 - helicopter of the Nigerian Vice President brought down for breaching no fly zone' throughout northern Nigeria
September 29, 2018 - (2) Nigerian fighter jets in Abuja - jets were brought down during training for a bogus Independence Celebration
December 28, 2018 - Nigerian F-16 Fighter Jet in Zamfara State shot down

Trust me "brought down" means shot down. Been following this stuff for years my fiend!!! The word "brought" and "shot" is used interchangeably and it does not mean they used a net nor does it mean they used a lasso! They used Russian made surface to air missiles and heavy artillery machine guns.

This also does not include the tens of Ukrainian made of aircrafts shot up on the ground. Since this fighting started I personally have computed more than 87 aircrafts destroyed!

Read for yourself - https://biafrarf.com/
Last edited by gordsh on Wed May 15, 2019 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

So are we saying that it was indeed shot down on 5/1 (or /2) and the content of the other links are a cover-up?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

I dont want to put international political stuff on a Diamond forum but lets just say there is some political propaganda spinning going on both sides and always has (as is common when parties are at war). If they would only donate the airplanes to some other third party and stop destroying them. As an airplane lover, owner and (new) pilot, it HURTS to see any airplane destroyed by a third party.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

I know nothing about Biafra and very little about the tensions in that area, and I know it is possible to create all sorts of propaganda on the internet, so I am not trying to start an argument here. I just want to point out that from the pictures available it would appear this aircraft, 5N-BNH, has had at least 2 gear-up landings! One seems to have occurred in 2014 - there are numerous articles and reports and pictures, such as this one here, which clearly show a DA42 sitting gear-up on some runway with an extensive accident report on the incident from the Nigerian AIB. It also claims "minor damage", which is supported by the photos, so it would be reasonable to expect the aircraft would be flying again after some repair.

There are also a number of recently-posted photos and articles showing pictures like this one, which appear to be the same aircraft sitting gear-up again, but definitely on a different runway from the first set of pictures. So at least 2 rough landings - talk about bad luck!

I can only find one site claiming this aircraft was shot down, and it appears to be the twitter feed from the BRF - the same group that claims to have shot it down. All other sites I found claim the subject aircraft had another gear-up landing on May 2nd. I do believe "brought down" means "shot down", and the BRF twitter feed claims to have "brought down" or "eliminated" a number of different aircraft in the past few weeks. I'm not suggesting they didn't happen, because I don't know. I just can't find any other evidence beyond the BRF twitter feed to support those claims.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)