4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: ForcedAeroMotive: SuperCharged DA40

Post by krellis »

Incremental changes, some of which are already delivered in newer DA40's, and a couple were side-effects:

- Starter failed - replaced with newer design -2 lb
- MLW mod - lighter main gear legs -3 lb
- Replaced A600 nav/strobes with Orion LED units -4 lb

So 9 lb. reduction with these. They mostly offset about +13 lb of mods over the years, bringing it back down to 1705 lb. Planned gyro replacements (AI, HSI) with newer stuff should shave it down further by another 8 lb or so.
Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for the G3X touch panel and autopilot. Garmin has done a great job of adding features and now that the formerly experimental system has been STC'd - I highly recommend it for the six pack DA40's. I have the full G3X system in my RV-7A and will put it into the RV-10 I'm building. I went with Garmin over Dynon/Advanced as the G3X interface is more like the G1000 DA40 I used to have. I'd like to think there will be better support with the G3X, but I guess that depends on how much Diamond is involved in the STC. I know a lot of folks have a bad taste in their mouths over the G1000 issues, but I think most of the blame falls on Diamond and not Garmin.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

krellis wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:04 pm

Incremental changes, some of which are already delivered in newer DA40's, and a couple were side-effects:

- Starter failed - replaced with newer design -2 lb
- MLW mod - lighter main gear legs -3 lb
- Replaced A600 nav/strobes with Orion LED units -4 lb

So 9 lb. reduction with these. They mostly offset about +13 lb of mods over the years, bringing it back down to 1705 lb. Planned gyro replacements (AI, HSI) with newer stuff should shave it down further by another 8 lb or so.
Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for the G3X touch panel and autopilot. Garmin has done a great job of adding features and now that the formerly experimental system has been STC'd - I highly recommend it for the six pack DA40's. I have the full G3X system in my RV-7A and will put it into the RV-10 I'm building. I went with Garmin over Dynon/Advanced as the G3X interface is more like the G1000 DA40 I used to have. I'd like to think there will be better support with the G3X, but I guess that depends on how much Diamond is involved in the STC. I know a lot of folks have a bad taste in their mouths over the G1000 issues, but I think most of the blame falls on Diamond and not Garmin.
I've already looked into the possibility of the G3X and won't be going that way. See my discussion on "The Next Stuff" for my rationale.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Ian Sage
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ian
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KAPA

Post by Ian Sage »

BRS wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:22 pm I just double checked with Rod about props weighs etc.

Both the Hartzel metal and composite props are approved. The Metal Hartzel before the Powerflow (which I had at one point) has not been addressed. MT is in the process of do vibration analysis to approve it for use with our STC. . .
We received approval for the MT propeller this morning.

Cheers,

Ian
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Ian Sage wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:50 pm
BRS wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:22 pm I just double checked with Rod about props weighs etc.

Both the Hartzel metal and composite props are approved. The Metal Hartzel before the Powerflow (which I had at one point) has not been addressed. MT is in the process of do vibration analysis to approve it for use with our STC. . .
We received approval for the MT propeller this morning.

Cheers,

Ian
Congrats!
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Coming Home to Roost (Data help advice)

Post by BRS »

Finally, after a very long STC venture it's time for N8QQ to come back home to the roost. In preparation to go pick it up I'm realizing that the databases are many many years out of date. So i'm reading through some of the threads on how to do the update and I even watched a very lengthy video on how to use the G1000. Yup, it's been a long time.

So I'm open to suggestions as to what needs to be updated. Obviously 'nav-data' but what about terrain and yes probably obstacle data. Can/should I get all that through Jepp or Garmin.

BTW - routing should take me north KAPA (Centennial), hang a left at Laramie to KBOI, Baker City, the Dalles, Vancouver WA. If you are along the route and want to visit let me know.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

If your G1000 files are many years old, it's probably best to subscribe to a "bundle" that includes multiple files at a discounted rate.. Garmin's PilotPak bundle (with their version of NavData) is cheaper than Jepp's bundle with Jepp NavData), so I'd suggest going with Garmin.

The only database that doesn't change much over the years is Terrain (tectonic plates move slowly!)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Coming Home to Roost (Data help advice)

Post by Rich »

BRS wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:35 pm So I'm open to suggestions as to what needs to be updated. Obviously 'nav-data' but what about terrain and yes probably obstacle data. Can/should I get all that through Jepp or Garmin.

BTW - routing should take me north KAPA (Centennial), hang a left at Laramie to KBOI, Baker City, the Dalles, Vancouver WA. If you are along the route and want to visit let me know.
The terrain/obstacle data in my GNS units is about a decade out of date. I haven't worried about it, since FF updates this roughly each year. But I figure I ought to update The GNS units after all this time, so I'm looking into it. Apparently I can now only get terrain data updates from Garmin, which complicates things.

I'm not precisely along the route you describe, but I am along a reasonable variant, at S39. From here it's about an hour to KVUO. Pretty cheap self-service fuel here, too.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

I was in a similar position with N123MZ where other than the NAV database, all the other G1000 databases hadn't been updated since the plane was new.

I just signed up for a United States Standard OnePak subscription ($649 per year) on the Garmin site that includes a year's worth of updates for Navigation data, SafeTaxi, Obstacle, Airport Directory, Terrain (9 Arc Second needed for SVT), and the Basemap.
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Just back to this thread that I have been watching for years. I flew 1'000 hours in two DA40s and left the family before the FAT team finally got their baby approved.
My second DA40 (N905PA) was a 2008 XLS. It had the 17 lb nose ballast and was fast.
I remember routinely doing 147 in cruise and easily hitting 150 on 10 GPH or so whenever I wanted.

So the supercharger mod would cost zero weight penalty, make the DA40 a 170 KTAS (wooot?!) aircraft and climb at 1200 fpm at 10'000 feet? What an amazing achievement!

Even at 30 K USD it is a very reasonable upgrade if you occasionally need to fly high. I mean you don't need to live in a mountainous area, just do some cross country and IFR.
Having sufficient climb power is very useful in challenging weather. This STC moves the DA40 into another league. I would have bought it right away.

Now that DAI no longer have a religion problem , I hope they pick up this STC and offer it as a factory option and retrofit.

Congratulations on a super clean and very refined installation. A brilliant case of "less is more".
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Juan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N195DA
Airports: KCEU

Post by A Dopo »

Antoine wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:57 pm Just back to this thread that I have been watching for years. I flew 1'000 hours in two DA40s and left the family before the FAT team finally got their baby approved.
My second DA40 (N905PA) was a 2008 XLS. It had the 17 lb nose ballast and was fast.
I remember routinely doing 147 in cruise and easily hitting 150 on 10 GPH or so whenever I wanted.

So the supercharger mod would cost zero weight penalty, make the DA40 a 170 KTAS (wooot?!) aircraft and climb at 1200 fpm at 10'000 feet? What an amazing achievement!

Even at 30 K USD it is a very reasonable upgrade if you occasionally need to fly high. I mean you don't need to live in a mountainous area, just do some cross country and IFR.
Having sufficient climb power is very useful in challenging weather. This STC moves the DA40 into another league. I would have bought it right away.

Now that DAI no longer have a religion problem , I hope they pick up this STC and offer it as a factory option and retrofit.

Congratulations on a super clean and very refined installation. A brilliant case of "less is more".
Far more useful than the 30,000 AC that came with our NG. At least that's my initial knee jerk reaction until we figure out why it's so anemic.