2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Perry
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209A
Airports: KSGJ

Airventure parking DA40

Post by BAA »

I was thinking of flying to Airventure 2019. Is it pretty safe to fly into Osh and onto the camping turf with the low wheel pants clearance of a 2005 DA40? Have heard stories about broken Tailwheel, flat tires, etc in the cornfields. Any advice would be appreciated.
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Re: Airventure parking DA40

Post by vontresc »

While a lot of the grass is ok, when it gets wet wheels sing in, and ruts happen. Removing the pants isn't too terribly difficult. Take them off at the last fuel stop, and you'll be fine.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

A couple of suggestions about flying in.

1. Read and understand the NOTAM thoroughly.
2. Take a competent safety pilot. The extra set of eyes can be invaluable.
3. Expect the unexpected. The arrival can be chaotic, even dangerous. There are a lot of inexperienced pilots that don't follow the rules and didn't read and understand the NOTAM.
4. Have a Plan B and C. Don't get fixated on getting in. You may have to (or want to) divert.
5. Last year was out of control. I diverted to ATW on Sunday because I refused to tolerate the ridiculous behavior of other pilots and the poor performance of ATC.
6. Did I mention the NOTAM? https://www.eaa.org/-/media/Files/AirVe ... NOTAM.ashx
BAA
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by BAA »

Thanks! Last time I was on OSH was 1995. That's a terrific idea of removing the pants at the last fuel stop just in case. I've read and understand the NOTAM pretty well and watched the video series on getting-in, not too worried about the published procedures, it's the chaos that is a concern and you've confirmed that for sure. I was planning on flying up from Florida to the Milwaukee area on Friday prior to Airventure and then fly in Saturday "dawn patrol", giving me plenty of weather windows and diversion opportunities if things are unsettled. Probably stay just a couple of days and wander-off south before the weekend.
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

The ATC problems were mainly due to the weather. I live in Madison, so I usually ride my motorcycle up the opening weekend to watch the "chaos" at Fisk from the ground. Mainly the issue was that the weather on Saturday was largely unflyable for VFR arrivals, and EVERYONE tried to arrive on Sunday afternoon.

I do question EAAs decision to reschedule all of the mass arrivals to Sunday and making Fisk runway 27 only. The interesting think I found out was that the controllers told me that the runway 9 approach can handle more traffic than the straight in 27. By having the ability to space pilots on the downwind/base leg they can get much more efficient spacing so they prefer a runway 9 patters for heavy traffic.

Early arrival on Saturday is most likely going to be ok though. the only times I've flown in were wednesday after the airshow before field closure, and it was really a non-event.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

I was at Slosh Kosh 2018 when everything was soaking wet. No problems with the wheel pants but it is probably a good idea on balance. Just remember, you trade wheel pant damage for potential wing skin and flap debris impact damage when you take off the main wheel pants.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I may have shared this before, but a good idea if you're going to park on the grass at Oshkosh is to bring a pair of small plywood boards (readily available from places like Home Depot) to place under your main gear. If a lot of rain has occurred, these will keep your wheels from sinking into the ground when parked multiple days -- and will make it much easier to taxi out when it's time to leave.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
BAA
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by BAA »

Thanks for all of the replies, probably will leave the wheel pants on..rather have a crack in the pants than have gravel ding the wing on the way there. If anyone is going, let me know on this thread and I will arrange a party at the command tent.
Perry N209AS
Kyle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Registration: N283DS
Airports: KNEW

Post by Kyle »

Perry,
I'll be at Airventure camping in GAC. Also, I have gone the past 3 years with wheel pants on and had no issues. I did do the boards under the mains last year as Dave suggested and it was definitely easier to pull out when departing.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

We are planning to go on our way back from Nova Scotia.