3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

What tug to get?

Post by YCCA »

I researched the forums but it wasn’t conclusive.. We have a tight fit hanger and the tow bar is horrible when pushing. What is the best electric tow bar/pusher for a DA-40?
Toddf
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Todd
Aircraft Registration: N222GF
Airports: 79C

Re: What tug to get?

Post by Toddf »

I am new to the forum and the DA40 which I purchased a 2002 in December. I have a 40 foot door and tried the tow bar with tracks and it was too difficult so I purchased the AC airtechnology A1T2 remote control tug. It is expensive but it is the best thing ever. I can get the plane in by myself very quickly and safely. I do have lines to follow but you can move the tug very slowly as the nav lights pass the hanger opening. I have a bump at the entrance where the blacktop meets the concrete and when pushing the plane in by hand it would cause the plane to go in not straight risking damaging the nav lights. With the tug it is like the bump isn’t even there because the tug holds so well.

I think there is a thread that has some different options also but I figured it was cheaper then putting in a larger door or risking damaging the plane.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Of course it depends on your specific hanger environment, but you may wish to consider installing an electric winch at the back of the hanger to pull your plane in. This solution works very well in my case, and is extremely fast. It takes longer for the hanger door to fully open than winching the plane in...
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

Toddf wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm ... I purchased the AC airtechnology A1T2 remote control tug. It is expensive but it is the best thing ever. ...
Todd, that unit says "non-wheel-pant" on their website. So did you remove the nose wheel pant?
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I use a Best Tugs Alpha 3 but still need metal ramps to get across my hangar door tracks. The plane still needs to be lined up perfectly as the plane will twist if one main gear hits the ramp before the other.
beetlebug
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: JC
Aircraft Registration: N1234567
Airports:

Post by beetlebug »

Boatguy wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:34 pm I use a Best Tugs Alpha 3 but still need metal ramps to get across my hangar door tracks. The plane still needs to be lined up perfectly as the plane will twist if one main gear hits the ramp before the other.
I just ordered an Alpha 3. Do you have a recommendation for metal ramps? I was hoping the A3 would be enough to get it over the tracks but worried it might not. I guess I have my answer. =(
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

Jeremy- My DA40 used to live in one of the north condo hangers at JYO. I used (and still use) a Minimax Tug -- https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/7107.htm
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

I use the Best Tugs (https://www.besttugs.com/pages/bravo-tug-line) and can move the plane in and out of extremely tight spaces with the wheel pant on. Its not the cheapest one out there but its one of the best investments I have made in owning the airplane next to purchasing a hanger. Also the support is amazing, I can call Mike Patey anytime and I get on-the-phone support. For repairs, replacement parts are at my hanger next business day via Fedex. The tug also as (1) Air compressor for putting air in the tires (2) APU for powering the aircraft (3) Tire pressure gauge (4) Head Lamp for night time operations. You van see some info on it here (https://youtu.be/g6FSdSBCTrY)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

beetlebug wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:03 pm
Boatguy wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:34 pm I use a Best Tugs Alpha 3 but still need metal ramps to get across my hangar door tracks. The plane still needs to be lined up perfectly as the plane will twist if one main gear hits the ramp before the other.
I just ordered an Alpha 3. Do you have a recommendation for metal ramps? I was hoping the A3 would be enough to get it over the tracks but worried it might not. I guess I have my answer. =(
I'm pondering getting an A2 (plenty for a DA40-180) to replace my aging Power Tow. What was the price of the A3?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Toddf
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Todd
Aircraft Registration: N222GF
Airports: 79C

Post by Toddf »

Brock, the have a kit for the DA40 that lowers the cradle and locks into where the tow bar connects so you don’t need to take the wheel pants off.