How much fuel do you typically keep in the tanks?

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: How much fuel do you typically keep in the tanks?

Post by CFIDave »

Scottsware wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:05 am What I have noticed is if you point the fuel nozzle toward the wing tip while fueling, fuel will come out the vents. I make sure to point the fuel nozzle inboard. That's the only explanation I have for fuel coming out the vents when the tank isn’t fuel.
This seems to be true on DA40s, DA42s, and DA62s -- with avgas and JetA fuel. And it's made worse if too much fuel pressure/flow comes out of the nozzle during refueling.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

On my DA40 this only happens on the right wing. Thought mine was the only one that did this. Ha
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

BRS wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:24 am On my DA40 this only happens on the right wing. Thought mine was the only one that did this. Ha
I also meant to say right wing -- your plane is no different from others.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
supershaft
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Shaf
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N266DS
Airports: CDW

Post by supershaft »

Graham wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:05 pm
Chris B wrote:
Graham wrote:We also log time and fuel remaining in an online log after each flight...
What tool do you use?

Any issues with condensation, or is the partially-full-tank problem over-blown?
We just use an excel spreadsheet in google docs built to capture hobbs, air time and fuel remaining. Everyone sets up an account and then just set the document to share with the other pilots.

I have yet to see any water in a fuel test but the plane does fly a fair bit so condensation may not really develop.
would you be willing to share the spreadsheet by chance?
Kipping
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: PHMKP
Airports: EHTE

Post by Kipping »

I share my DA40NG with two other pilots and we always refuel after our flights, so that the tanks are always full.
Only if somebody would exceed the envelope limit, we would ask the previous pilot not to fill up the tanks.
Usually this works out fine.

Now for my next scheduled trip, this doesn't work out.
The tanks are full (147 liters), but I can only take 110 liters. So my idea is to purchase two good quality metal 20 liter jerrycans and defuel each tank.
It seems not so easy to do, because each fuel drain will have to be activated with an inserted pin, during the whole draining process.

Does anybody have any experiences with this defueling procedure, or does anybody know of better ways to do this?
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

In NG, I have 580 pounds or so of load available with full tanks. So I keep my tanks full. If I planned a trip that required more load, I’d burn off fuel in prep for the flight. But that would be the exception. And I’m super paranoid about running out. When I see 8 gallons a side I get nervous. So unless I only do a few touch and goes, I’m filling up after most flights. The vast majority of my trips are solo or just two souls on board.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Kipping wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:50 am
Does anybody have any experiences with this defueling procedure, or does anybody know of better ways to do this?
With the Lycoming, one drains it out the gascolator, as the drain can be locked in place. Just select the tank and drain through there. I'm unsure whether this will work for the NG. Just a suggestion to look into.
Last edited by Rich on Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Mjwatlanta wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:26 am In NG, I have 580 pounds or so of load available with full tanks. So I keep my tanks full. If I planned a trip that required more load, I’d burn off fuel in prep for the flight. But that would be the exception. And I’m super paranoid about running out. When I see 8 gallons a side I get nervous. So unless I only do a few touch and goes, I’m filling up after most flights. The vast majority of my trips are solo or just two souls on board.
I usually departed with full tanks in my 40NG since I mostly flew longer trips, or round trips without fueling at the interim stop.

I always landed with at least 4-6gal which would be at least 45-60min of reserve. The AFM allows a difference of up to 9gal in the tanks so I had no concerns about emptying the right wing and having all the remaining fuel in the left wing. Depending on the fuel remaining, I would transfer fuel to the left wing about 40min before landing to either balance them on landing, or empty the right wing entirely. The fuel burn on descent is very low and this ensured that I didn't have to think about the fuel level while preparing to land, or for at least 30-60min on a missed or go-around.
Kipping
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: PHMKP
Airports: EHTE

Post by Kipping »

Rich wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:17 pm
Kipping wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:50 am
With the Lycoming, one drains it out the gascolator, as the drain can be locked in place. Just select the tank and drain through there. I'm unsure whether this will work for the NG. Just a suggestion to look into.
Thanks, that is a good suggestion! The left tank is selected, so I could drain 40 liters from the gascolator and do a fuel transfer from right to left before the flight. I didn't know that the drain can be locked in place. Good to know!
QuickOne
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Registration: n473DS
Airports: 1b9

Post by QuickOne »

We have a 3 person partnership and due to the W/B and not wanting to remove fuel, we have everyone leave the plane with less than 25 gallons. Each pilot is able to work W/B however they need that matches their flight plan. We bill a wet time of 10 gal/hour and use a card that gets rewards for fuel purchases. Any extra goes into the maintenance fund. Has worked out well so far for our group.