Twin Training Woes

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Soareyes

Twin Training Woes

Post by Soareyes »

I've been trying for several months to get my multi-engine rating in preparation for buying a new DA42. The dealer offers a voucher but not the actual training. I have a job and would like to try to get it done during a week off.

Flight School #1: Plans to attend last Fall were scuttled when a student did a wheels-up landing in their nearly new DA42.

Flight School #2: Very insistent that I give them $1,000 up front, which I did, securing my training slot for January. In December they remembered this newfangled thing called ADS-B which they hadn't done anything about. So sorry, the plane will be unavailable.

Flight School #3: Required payment in full prior to scheduling training. I paid $6,500 and was scheduled to start tomorrow. Last night they called and said a student "bent a prop" during their check ride yesterday and their plane is now AOG.

So I have next week off but with no where to go and no multi-training scheduled. Willing to go anywhere in the US with likely good weather. I called a few places around the country but their schedules were full for next week. Still awaiting callbacks from a few more. I wanted to get the multi rating in a plane similar to one I hope to get but at this rate I may just call the local flight school with the beat-up Seneca.

Does anyone have a suggestion for DA42 multi-engine training for next week? A newer -VI would be nice since that is what I have already memorized the speeds and specs.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Twin Training Woes

Post by Colin »

Where are you located? Angel City Flyers and Bay City Flyers were, when I trained, an excellent outfit and had lots of DA42s available. They can knock it out in a week (I believe someone here can attest to that, having grabbed his multi rating at Angel City Flyers this past fall.) LGB and OAK (or thereabouts).
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Curious: "bent a prop"? If it was a 42 does it not have an MT? They don't "bend".

I would recommend trying Galvin Aviation in Seattle but the NW is in a really questionable weather pattern right now.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I was in KHWD today and as Colin suggests, Bay City has at least one if not two DA42's. No idea about the quality of the instructors or availability.

Good luck!
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

You might give Midwest Corporate Air in Bellefontaine Ohio (KEDJ) a call. They offer a 3-4 day course in a DA42. Great folks.
startingovercfi
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Airports: 39N

Post by startingovercfi »

We have a DA42 available next week in Princeton NJ at the Princeton Flying School. 609-921-3100.
No down payments.
Very experienced instructor,

Give us a call.
Soareyes

Post by Soareyes »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a new plan to start training in Savannah, GA on Monday. Fingers crossed.
Kyle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Registration: N283DS
Airports: KNEW

Post by Kyle »

I did mine at Blue Line in North Carolina. They have a -IV.
Soareyes

Post by Soareyes »

"I did mine at Blue Line in North Carolina. They have a -IV."

Yep. The DA42 with the "bent prop" -whatever that means, is the one at Blue Line that cancelled on me as I was packing my bags the night before.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Soareyes wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:40 pm "I did mine at Blue Line in North Carolina. They have a -IV."

Yep. The DA42 with the "bent prop" -whatever that means, is the one at Blue Line that cancelled on me as I was packing my bags the night before.
I've piloted Blue Line's beautiful blue DA42-VI. Hard to have a "bent prop" when its MT props are made of wood covered with carbon fiber. :scratch:
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI