Flying the Caribbean (Part 6) - to Dominica -- An unspoiled, unheralded gem of an island

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Flying the Caribbean (Part 6) - to Dominica -- An unspoiled, unheralded gem of an island

Post by waynemcc999 »

A simple two-hour flight from BVI to Dominica. A few broken cloud layers and a short field with terrain at each end await us.

Rather than the 4-to-8 flight-hour days of previous episodes, this time we get to devote more video time to in-cockpit details and decision making.

I had practiced the visual approach at TDCF to runway 19 on the home sim, but seeing the terrain and houses up the hillside in real life was an added pleasant thrill. What are your thoughts on the "45 degree angled to the numbers" short final flown here (at 0:04 and 11:30)? Other suggestions/observations?

Thoughts, questions, and suggestions? I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks for your insight and enjoy the video!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Flying the Caribbean (Part 6) - to Dominica -- An unspoiled, unheralded gem of an island

Post by Boatguy »

Another delightful video of that trip!

I'd like to take this opportunity to plug my favorite island non-profit. Hands Across the Sea brings books to school libraries across the Caribbean. It was started by some cruisers whom I met when sailing there and I met again with Harriet Linskey, co-founder, just a couple of months when she came to San Francisco.

These islands, and especially Dominica, were devastated by hurricane Maria, then hurricane Dorian. Dominica is a independent country, there is no former colonial power providing them with a subsidy. They are just a tiny country that must be self sufficient. Hands Across the Sea brings books to children, working closely with locals and governments on each island. There is detailed information on their web site and full financial disclosure. I know they would appreciate any contribution you might be willing to make.
gtmize
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: gary
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

Re: Flying the Caribbean (Part 6) - to Dominica -- An unspoiled, unheralded gem of an island

Post by gtmize »

Group Trip?
Any effort to organize one to Caribbean Spring / Summer / Fall 2010?
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:39 am Another delightful video of that trip!

I'd like to take this opportunity to plug my favorite island non-profit. Hands Across the Sea brings books to school libraries across the Caribbean. It was started by some cruisers whom I met when sailing there and I met again with Harriet Linskey, co-founder, just a couple of months when she came to San Francisco.

These islands, and especially Dominica, were devastated by hurricane Maria, then hurricane Dorian. Dominica is a independent country, there is no former colonial power providing them with a subsidy. They are just a tiny country that must be self sufficient. Hands Across the Sea brings books to children, working closely with locals and governments on each island. There is detailed information on their web site and full financial disclosure. I know they would appreciate any contribution you might be willing to make.
Russ, very good info on Dominica! From my short 4-day stay there, I can surely attest to the friendliness and clear determination of the people of Dominica. I"ll be checking out Hands Across the Sea.
Thanks!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot