TAS610 not working properly - Replacement?

Any DA42 related topics.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

lorikeet
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Florian
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

TAS610 not working properly - Replacement?

Post by lorikeet »

Dear Diamond Aviators Friends,

the previous owner of my DA40 is having a problem with the TAS610 in his DA42NG and I wanted to support him a little, because he sold me a plane in mint condition while he wasn't so lucky with his new plane :(

While most of the problems have been fixed over the recent months one of the remains. The TAS610 gives an aural warning about traffic, but never has any heading or altitude information and also never shows the traffic on the MFD of the G1000 (which makes sense, if it can't calculate a positions).

The plane is stationed in Germany, so shipping the unit to Avidyne for testing would be super complicated with customs etc. and thus I wanted to tap into the previous experience of the DA42 owners if somebeody might have had a similar problem before (maybe bad antenna connection?).

If the TAS610 would need to be replaced, is there a "better" unit on the markedt meanwhile, which maybe combines also ADS-IN signals with the one of the Mode A/C the TAS610 uses?

Thanks for your support and with best regards from CAVOK Germany with almost no planes in the skies,

Flo

(everybody stay healthy)
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Re: TAS610 not working properly - Replacement?

Post by Lance Murray »

Any "better" unit will require a significant investment in labor cost. Would be better to just fix the current unit. From what I hear Avidyne isn't great at customer service unfortunately.
meowmeow
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sven
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N919ES
Airports: KBFI

Post by meowmeow »

lorikeet wrote:Dear Diamond Aviators Friends,

the previous owner of my DA40 is having a problem with the TAS610 in his DA42NG and I wanted to support him a little, because he sold me a plane in mint condition while he wasn't so lucky with his new plane :(

While most of the problems have been fixed over the recent months one of the remains. The TAS610 gives an aural warning about traffic, but never has any heading or altitude information and also never shows the traffic on the MFD of the G1000 (which makes sense, if it can't calculate a positions).

The plane is stationed in Germany, so shipping the unit to Avidyne for testing would be super complicated with customs etc. and thus I wanted to tap into the previous experience of the DA42 owners if somebeody might have had a similar problem before (maybe bad antenna connection?).

If the TAS610 would need to be replaced, is there a "better" unit on the markedt meanwhile, which maybe combines also ADS-IN signals with the one of the Mode A/C the TAS610 uses?

Thanks for your support and with best regards from CAVOK Germany with almost no planes in the skies,

Flo

(everybody stay healthy)
What's his current (or currently planned) ADS-B solution..? AFAIK ADS-B compliance is due in Europe soon, too (June?).
The Garmin 345R is popular over here in the US for G1000 planes and provides a pretty good traffic picture (maybe not as complete as a TCAS-based solution, but looking outside to complete the picture is probably a good idea either way).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lorikeet
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by lorikeet »

Yes, I have also thought about ADS-B. It's not mandatory for aircraft below 5.7 tons and voluntary for GA aircraft, but I think it would make a lot of sense. If the TAS610 needs to be fixed I think this can be upgraded to an "A" version, which uses ADS-B IN in addition ot the Mode C of the other aircraft.

With respect to ADS-B OUT, while not mandatory I did a bit of research and found that the GTX33/330 can be updgraded with the Extended Squitter (ES) Upgrade (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/596335).

So this combination of the upgrade for OUT and TAS610 with the A version might be a good solution for Europe were a TAS with recoginition of Mode C will be required for quite a bit longer.

I had still hoped that somebody would just write that the antennas are the problem :)
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

ADS-B won’t be very useful in Europe since the majority of traffic you’re interested in (small GA I presume) won’t radiate.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Personally I would send the Avidyne box in for repair and upgrade. When Europe is on board with ADS-B upgrade the transponder to ES.
lorikeet
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by lorikeet »

Dear all,

the avionics shop said they cannot install an TAS610 which was upgraded to the TAS615"A" with the ADS-B in. Does anybody have some experience there? Is this an EASA thing and it works for N-reg?