1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Lee
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: CGDAI
Airports: CYZX

Propellor Needed desperately.

Post by Lee Bertrand »

I am in desperate need of a Hoffmann propellor or at least one blade for my DA20-A1. Does anyone have one that they want to sell or know where I can get one?

Thanks in advance.

Lee
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: Propellor Needed desperately.

Post by krellis »

Have you tried Aviation Propellers in Opa Locka, FL? They overhauled my A1 prop years ago and had an overhauled prop for sale at that time.

If you are willing to overhaul a prop, I know of a serviceable spare. We gave it to the high school when we donated our DA20 to them a year or so ago. The prop sits in the classroom, but they have the logs and the prop can be overhauled. Email me if you want more info Krea dot Ellis at gmail dot com.
Lee Bertrand
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Lee Bertrand »

Thanks for trying Krea. Still looking for a prop or a blade.
Spinner
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: lots
Airports: CYQM CYFC CYYR CYTH

Post by Spinner »

I assume that you probably tried Hope Aero out of Toronto. They are pretty good at scrounging stuff not sure about the Hoffman prop but they do carry some oddball stuff.
soarer20
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N355NL
Airports: KAWO KUAO

Post by soarer20 »

There has to be a story here.... Do tell.

Contact Hoffman or Hope Aero, ship them your prop and they will repair it and replace the broken blade and ship it back. This is a job for a propeller shop. I believe this is your only option as the blades have to be balanced. If you put a used blade on this prop without having it balanced there could be vibration which can lead to all sorts of issues.

Was the engine running when the blade was damaged? You might want to check the maintenance manual and see if you need to get into that engine. Do you have insurance? This should be covered if so.
Lee Bertrand
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Lee Bertrand »

soarer20 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:10 pm There has to be a story here.... Do tell.

Contact Hoffman or Hope Aero, ship them your prop and they will repair it and replace the broken blade and ship it back. This is a job for a propeller shop. I believe this is your only option as the blades have to be balanced. If you put a used blade on this prop without having it balanced there could be vibration which can lead to all sorts of issues.

Was the engine running when the blade was damaged? You might want to check the maintenance manual and see if you need to get into that engine. Do you have insurance? This should be covered if so.
No story, fortunately. In Canada we have to overhaul our props every 10 years. Mine went to Hope and they found one of the blade retaining rings cracked. Trying not to have to order one from Germany or send this one there for repair due to the time it takes with all this Corona stuff.
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Airports: KENW

Post by JohnE »

Hi Lee, Can you share with us the cost to overhaul the Hoffman prop? Mine needs some touch up on the blade leading edge (I can probably use liquid rubber again). Was going to have the gearbox overhauled and if its not too expensive (and time consuming), maybe I'll do the prop at the same time.
Lee Bertrand
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Lee Bertrand »

Hi John, I will if I can ever find a blade and get mine overhauled. Still looking for a blade or a used prop.
Lee
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Airports: KENW

Post by JohnE »

Ouch. Didn't realize you were till looking. Can you buy a new one? When I looked a long time ago, Hoffman seemed like a pretty small company. I couldn't find much info on their products / prices. I think MT has an STC for the A1's. I have a price list from them from last year. Pretty expensive though I think.
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Post by YCCA »

I have a prop for sale. It’s the seinwiich, or however you spell that