IFR to the Bay Area - PilotsNPaws (Full ATC)

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

IFR to the Bay Area - PilotsNPaws (Full ATC)

Post by waynemcc999 »

A marine layer on departure and clear skies all the way to our destination under-the-SFO-Bravo... once on top, should we cancel IFR? In this case we chose to stay IFR and even fly the approach into San Carlos. A quick clearance release at KSBA and a straight-in approach at KSQL means our decision makes for an easy and quick flight. Doesn’t always turn out that way (hint: watch for the next episode). What considerations do you ponder on the question… to cancel, or not to cancel?
Thanks for your insight and enjoy the flight!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: IFR to the Bay Area - PilotsNPaws (Full ATC)

Post by pietromarx »

I used to always go IFR into the Bay Area from the south to a bayside airport when there was a lot going on at SFO / SJC / OAK or the marine layer was hanging out. If crossing the Bay Area east/west to land at an airport it was always easier to just cancel and run underneath the Class B -- IFR across the airspace to land at PAO / SQL / LVK / HWD is a nightmare.

So I guess my point being I would cancel (and get flight following if asked by ATC) any time I needed to cross the complicated airspace at lower levels. If you're landing at the near edges of the airspace then IFR is fine. I feel the same way about LA airspace, too. Complicated to cross IFR at low levels, easy if going to an edge, even easier if you're just going over the top.

But I did my PPL at San Carlos, glider at Hollister, was based at Livermore, etc.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Peter, thanks for the solid insight. As you noted, most of my flights into the Bay Area are indeed from the south (based in KSBA), so whether it's Reid Hillview, Palo Alto, San Carlos, or even Oakland... I'm almost always keeping IFR all the way in, and most of the time also IFR out.

For various LA destinations it varies for me... in and out of KTOA I prefer the SFRA... for KFUL, KLGB, KSNA I tend to file/fly IFR.
Thanks again,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

Welcome to the Bay Area, Wayne.

Recently there are much less traffic in Bay Area so your approach to SQL looks like a breeze.
Since I'm local, I always cancel IFR when VMC. But probably it's better for non-local pilot to keep IFR in/out. Navigating airspaces around SFO can be tricky.

I really enjoy your videos. I noticed you don't use full power on the take off roll. I'm curious this is because of supercharger?
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

arksat wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:48 am Welcome to the Bay Area, Wayne.

Recently there are much less traffic in Bay Area so your approach to SQL looks like a breeze.
Since I'm local, I always cancel IFR when VMC. But probably it's better for non-local pilot to keep IFR in/out. Navigating airspaces around SFO can be tricky.

I really enjoy your videos. I noticed you don't use full power on the take off roll. I'm curious this is because of supercharger?
Tosh, I agree... if I were more familiar with the SFO airspace I'd be more likely to cancel IFR.
Yes, last year I had the Forced Aeromotive supercharger installed... so on takeoffs below say 7000' DA the pilot needs to manage the MP to <30" so as not to overboost. On some of these videos you'll hear me call out "manifold 30 inches, rpm good, oil pressure good, airspeed alive...". Here's an evolving PIREP on the supercharger.
Thanks for watching!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Wayne:

I was stationed at Moffett Field (NUQ) in the early 1980s. I used to rent Aero Club aircraft there to fly around CA. Getting in and out VFR was never an issue, but NorCal traffic was much less than now. Squadron aircraft almost always flew on an IFR flight plan. Your video brought back memories...

Steve
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Steve wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:47 pm Wayne:

I was stationed at Moffett Field (NUQ) in the early 1980s. I used to rent Aero Club aircraft there to fly around CA. Getting in and out VFR was never an issue, but NorCal traffic was much less than now. Squadron aircraft almost always flew on an IFR flight plan. Your video brought back memories...

Steve
Steve, I trust the memories are pleasant memories.
Thanks for watching!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Wayne:

Yes, good memories...
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

I used to run to meetings from San Carlos across the bay to Livermore or Concord. Easier and more reliable than traffic on the bridges. The airspace is crazy complicated and, as arksat pointed out (and he's at Hayward), you really have to be familiar with the tricks.

Wayne: since you're at Santa Barbara ... I want to come see your supercharger. I'm just over at Whiteman. (Again, an airport easy to get into as it is on the edge, etc...and the driving traffic means less time in the car than Santa Monica from where I am.)
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

pietromarx wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:40 pm Wayne: since you're at Santa Barbara ... I want to come see your supercharger. I'm just over at Whiteman. (Again, an airport easy to get into as it is on the edge, etc...and the driving traffic means less time in the car than Santa Monica from where I am.)
Peter, of course... when you're free to come on over to KSBA, let me know and we'll make it happen. Just email me (waynemcc@wamware.com) a few days ahead of time.
Cool!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland