1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Dennis
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N12345
Airports:

How I updated DA42 TDI G1000 Legacy

Post by Dia42mei »

Long story short.... Had a heck of a time updating the two supplemental cards (generic Sandisk 8gb). After a day in a half of trial and error, I figured it out and thought Id post my method here for others. DA42 G1000 Legacy 370.22 version

TO UPDATE BOTTOM SUPPLEMENTAL CARDS G1000 legacy unit

Formatting cards with Mac book and Windows PC formatting tool caused errors. Do full overwrite formatting with tool sent to me by Jeppessen. Cards will need to be either 4 or 8gb.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Install on your PC and then format cards. EJECT SD CARD SAFELY FIRST BEFORE PULLING IT OUT OF SLOT.

Now go to JDM and download files onto cards. Both pfd and mfd cards can be identical but only mfd will run the chklist.ace file from Diamond and any charts files.

Go to plane and pull pfd circuit breaker and install mfd card. Turn on master and verify files are installing and verifying on mfd screen. After restart, view garmin initial splash screen and watch each file become validated on mfd. This took 3 minutes on my timer to validate all files.

Power off and pull mfd breaker and push back in pfd breaker. Install pfd card and then master on. Follow same prompts. Once restart is complete, set timer on your phone and wait 3 or 4 minutes for files to validate. No garmin initial splash screen will be observed so you have to use a timer to know when all files are validated. Note: after two minutes the map inset suddenly showed terrain so i knew the validation process was working in the background. Power off after the 3 or 4 minute timer goes off.

Push mfd circuit breaker back in and master on. Both devices have now been updated with new supplemental data.

TO UPDATE NAV DATA

Format card with the program above and then load file via JDM. EJECT SD CARD SAFELY FIRST BEFORE PULLING IT OUT OF SLOT.

Go to plane and install nav card top slot of pfd and pull mfd circuit breaker. Master on and view pfd screen prompts installing data. After restart and AHRS aligned, master off.

Pull nav card from pfd and place in top slot mfd. Pull pfd breaker and push in mfd breaker. Master on and view upload prompts. After restart and showing the new nav data expiration date on garmin startup screen, hit enter, let mfd load, and then master off.

Now push in pfd circuit breaker and master on. Both devices should be updated and matched. Nav data must be loaded on both pfd and mfd. Card can be left in top slot mfd but it will not be used until a new data file is copied to it. The error i observed at the beginning was DB MISMATCH XTALK OFF. This full procedure cleared all errors.

Hope this info helps anyone who is having problems updating.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: How I updated DA42 TDI G1000 Legacy

Post by CFIDave »

Circuit breakers were never designed for anything other than occasional use when necessary. You shouldn't pull breakers in order to update your G1000 databases.

There's also no special formatting of cards required -- just use FAT/FAT32, which is the way that most SDCards are already formatted when purchased. You shouldn't have to use a special Jepp application for card formatting.

Except for NavData files (which use the top slot for loading), all the other files on SDCards don't actually load into the G1000 -- they simply reside on the cards placed in the bottom PFD/MFD slots (which operate similarly to a PC's "hard drive"). All you need to do is stick the bottom cards into the G1000 when turned off, and when powered ON the G1000 will validate the files on the cards.

(The above applies to Legacy G1000; NXi is totally different with all files loading into internal memory.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Dia42mei
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Dennis
Aircraft Registration: N12345
Airports:

Post by Dia42mei »

This is just info to give another option for anyone having problems updating. Both Garmin and Jepp tech support personnel were stumped after recommending several steps which did not resolve the issue. This worked for me thanks to one savvy Jepp tech. Your results may vary.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I agree with Dave. The bottom cards shouldn't require any special sequencing, just write the new databases onto them and insert them into the bottom slots. I can't think of any reason you would need to mess with pulling circuit breakers to power up one P/MFD at a time for those. You do need to give it a few minutes to verify all of the new databases. I do both screens in a single step and then power everything off to start for the NavData update.

For the NavData, just put the card in one of the top slots, power everything up and follow the prompts, then wait a minute while it verifies the update. Power everything off and repeat on the other side. Once again, no need to mess with circuit breakers.

I use Garmin's software rather than JDM to write the cards on my MacBook and, while klunky, it works fine.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

My routine is to use the Garmin updater software to write to the top Nav card for the MFD (and optionally the bottom card on the MFD, depending on what's being updated). With everything off, the cards go into their proper slots on the MFD. I power the system on, say Yes to the various prompts, and then the MFD copies data to the PFD. Once that's done (monitor on the appropriate AUX page), I turn off the system again, wait a sec, and power it back on. Now I need to say Yes on the PFD and then the system is up to date.

Occasionally when a large database gets updated (is it the basemap or the terrain one?) the copy process can take a while, like 50min or so, in which case SVT and some other stuff might not work.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

haykinson wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:54 pm My routine is to use the Garmin updater software to write to the top Nav card for the MFD (and optionally the bottom card on the MFD, depending on what's being updated). With everything off, the cards go into their proper slots on the MFD. I power the system on, say Yes to the various prompts, and then the MFD copies data to the PFD. Once that's done (monitor on the appropriate AUX page), I turn off the system again, wait a sec, and power it back on. Now I need to say Yes on the PFD and then the system is up to date.

Occasionally when a large database gets updated (is it the basemap or the terrain one?) the copy process can take a while, like 50min or so, in which case SVT and some other stuff might not work.
This is not related to legacy G1000 update in DA42.
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

My fault. I misread this as a very convoluted normal update of the G1000 databases...