3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N100DA
Airports: KSPK

Re: New DA62 Interior Option - Lounge Seat Option

Post by UTMark »

Does anyone know if the new second row seating supports the ability to recline?
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

I've been futzing with the W&B on my seven-seat 62 constantly for the past couple of weeks. The thing is really nose-heavy, to the point where you actually need a lot of extra mass placed well back in the plane if you've got big people in the front seats.

I'm planning to yank my two back seats and replace them with a cargo platform (which can be bought for the price of your firstborn from Diamond) to make this easier. And when I start flying with my husband, who is a BIG guy, we're going to start packing from the far back working forward, because we'll need the weight to all be back there to balance having him in the front.

OTOH, we don't have any people in our lives who are small enough to wedge into those tiny back seats, which truly are kid-sized. This lounge seat looks amazing, though. I hope they offer an after-market version, because I'd be all over that.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

BlueYonder wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:47 am I've been futzing with the W&B on my seven-seat 62 constantly for the past couple of weeks. The thing is really nose-heavy, to the point where you actually need a lot of extra mass placed well back in the plane if you've got big people in the front seats.
Do you see the DA62 as inherently nose heavy, or does the radar, O2 bottle or other option "tip" the balance?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The only time I ever had a W&B issue with my DA62 was when I gave a demo flight to a pilot who weighted over 300 lbs (He fit just fine, but needed a seatbelt extender.) I have radar, the built-in O2 tank, and keep the TKS reservoir about 3/4 full, but don't carry any anvils in the front baggage compartment. :)

Virtually all DA62s in North America have air conditioning with its heavy compressor in the rear, which nicely balances a couple of 200 lb pilots in the front row without luggage.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I think I would start with four gallons of TKS fluid AAALLLLLL the way in the back of the luggage compartment and see where I was after that. Helpful to have along, too.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)