1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Stockton
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N645WT
Airports: KEKM

Re: DECALS

Post by smschultz »

gyro3816 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:08 pm I just redid my stripes (purchased decals from Aerographics). We used a heat gun to remove and used buffer for shadow removal. I too had the same issue you describe (XLS was behind rear window on old graphic).
I had AeroGraphics make a chrome Diamond Star XLS. I placed the Diamond Star on the vertical stabilizer. My plan is to apply the XLS to the bottom edge of the cowl cover. There just wasn’t enough space to do diamond star xls on stabilizer without it looking busy.
Looks great. Would you please share a photo or the whole airplane? Was this a custom design with Aerographics? Thanks!
p3dave
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N321CK
Airports: 82J

Post by p3dave »

astaib wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:46 pm Hello,

As I'm working for an automotive supplier that make decals (and other things), I made the decoration of my DA40 myself.
I removed quite easily the old 2002 decoration with this tool a patience (https://www.amazon.fr/Grattoir-autocoll ... B08D3G787L).
Then I polished all the plane (not under the wings) with 1.000 and 3.500 polish. The result is incredible.

Then I applied the complete decoration and registration myself. I didn't put any Diamond Star decals, so I can't help you with the font.

For the leading edges, I had to cheat because I was not satisfied with the painting for cosmetic repairs: I used chromed colored film, I cutted stripes of 5 meters (by 5-6cm) that I applied on the leading edges (to imitate the TKIS leading edges), then I applied on top a transparent PU stone shipping film (striped too, but a bit wider 7cm) to prevent new nicks and discoloration due to bugs impact if they are not cleaned immediatly.
When I did this I first wanted to do it with a white film, but it was not exactly the same white, and the use of any other color for decoration was ugly, so I decided to make a fake TKIS decoration as I really wanted to hide the nicks.

Now everybody is asking me if my plane is new! https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10342625

Arnaud.
Arnaud, your plane looks great, superb job!
gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N886KC
Airports: KPTK

Post by gyro3816 »

Here’s a pic of my bird at Tin Goose (Port Clinton, OH). Great Breakfast place.
I have the wheel pants off for Michigan winter opps. Aerographics did a great job with custom colors on the standard diamond stripe.
The metal flake paint looks amazing in the sun.
I can send more specifics if you PM me.
Attachments
76BFBF2E-6187-4DFF-B7E6-85248FA7F736.jpeg
Adam
CSEL, CMEL, Instrument
N886KC DA40 XLS, G1000 w GFC700
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Rich wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:55 pm Arnaud, I doubt your leading edge approach would pass muster here in the US. It definitely has the potential to alter the airflow characteristics of the wing. Here one would have to show it does not.
I asked Diamond about putting a thin covering on the leading edge similar to what is fitted to many props a long time ago and the answer was a firm NO.
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

I wasn’t expecting that they would have said yes anyway.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
p3dave
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N321CK
Airports: 82J

Post by p3dave »

Tin Goose? When did they change the name of Port Clinton. Spent a lot of time over many years in and about the area and can remember the Tin Gooses (or Geese) flying out of there, taking kids to school on the mainland. One of my first "long" cross countries was from Bowers Field in Columbus to Griffing in Sandusky.
KLN Aviation
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Kevin
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N101Q
Airports: KORL

Post by KLN Aviation »

Cool, Just the info I was looking for.

We are looking into custom decals. I'm assuming the plane can be configured without any makings from the factory and just a temporary tail number affixed.

Love to hear if others have done custom stripes and which shop they used to cut and apply them.

This was one idea we had but hopefully, a real artist will improve on our preliminary ideas.

gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N886KC
Airports: KPTK

Post by gyro3816 »

Tin Goose is the name of the diner at the airport. Eries Ottawa, Port Clinton - take your pick.
https://m.facebook.com/TinGooseDiner/
Adam
CSEL, CMEL, Instrument
N886KC DA40 XLS, G1000 w GFC700