1 Diamond Member
First Name: Felix
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N99YY
Airports: EDMA

Minimum Engine Start Temperature / Cold Ops

Post by Felix »

Hi Da62 peers.

I was reading through our POH and saw a definition of "Minimum Engine starting fuel temperature" - but nowhere it is stated on what number that temperature is - so what is now the minimum temp to start our engine? I am reading just -30 to 60 deg Celsius for the "fuel temperatures" allowed, but nothing specific on engine start and takeoff. A friend recommended to get engine pre-heat for temp below -20 deg Celsius which we might experience for a flight this winter, but if there's no limitation except the -30 deg Celsius fuel limit, I do not understand why engine pre heat would be neccessary...

Anyone has any other experience in very cold operations?

Thanks and keep on flying everyone. Our DA62 is a fantastic machine, best buy ever, touring a lot through Europe with it.

Felix
UTMark
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N100DA
Airports: KSPK

Re: Minimum Engine Start Temperature / Cold Ops

Post by UTMark »

I think Section 2.4 in the POH states the Gearbox temperature range is what you indicated also: -30C. I think you could apply to the engine in general. Like most diesel engines, they can struggle in colder temperatures (not to mention you're batteries also).

I live in Utah and we have discussed flights into cold temperatures. My plane is hangared most of the time, but in the case of flying to a destination and having to leave the aircraft out...

Tanis has an engine pre-heat kit for Austro engines: https://www.tanisaircraft.com/product/p ... l-3001-230

If you don't want to pay $1400 per engine... you could also consider a couple of pre-heaters: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... -12224.php

Credit to my friend/instructor Sam Davis who did his homework on this stuff for us back in the day...
KSPK, Spanish Fork, UT
N100DA DA-62 62.078
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

-30˚C is -22˚F which is pretty cold. They park most of the planes outside at the factory in London, ON.

I started at the factory at -8˚C (17˚F), and flew to Michigan at -13˚C (8˚F) in the DA40NG with no cold weather baffle in the fuel cooling intake.
Jroseund
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Registration: N526AE
Airports: KBFF

Post by Jroseund »

Hi Felix,

Our 62 is in a non heated hangar in Western Nebraska. We don’t do any real early flights so the temps are usually about close to freezing or mid 20’s. I try to start mine once a week for trips or joy rides to help with the batteries, but have seen no issues with temps in the low 20’s.

I know the checklist says you can go up to 50% power for engine warm up, but I don’t go any higher then 10%. Easier on the seals and everything with the cold oil I think. For takeoff temps, I don’t even do the ECU A/B switch test and run up test until ALL engine temps are in the green. Knock on wood, I’ve had no ECU fault messages yet with almost 5 months of flying.
Felix
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Felix
Aircraft Registration: N99YY
Airports: EDMA

Post by Felix »

Guys,

thanks so much for your answers (and sorry for not replying earlier). Very helpful.

We'll hop over the atlantic from Germany to Miami (via Scotland, Iceland, Greenland, Canada) on Saturday, weather pending... really looking forward to the trip!! :-) It's -25 Celsius at some stops, so within the -30 Celsius range of our aircraft... Wearing thick winter clothing :-)

Cheers,
Felix
RMooney
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Ryan
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports: EGTF

Post by RMooney »

Good luck on your adventure! Looking forward to reading about it and hearing tips for following in these footsteps. (Some excellent video diaries on YouTube about crossing the Atlantic.) Even just details such as if your feet freeze or if you manage without cup holders. I've never flown in a survival suit and wonder if some people choose not to wear one.