4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Quick trip to see the Earthrounder DA50 RG

Post by photoSteveZ »

A buddy and I flew down to Addison, Texas (KADS) yesterday to have a look at the DA50 currently on the homestretch of a round-the-world trip. Diamond was well represented by Premier at the U.S. Aviation Expo, having taken over one of Cutter's maintenance hangars and filled it with a DA40, DA50, DA42 and DA62.

The Swiss pilots brought the DA50 to Premier's Ft Worth service center to complete a 200-hour service before continuing their journey. I was told that the service was uneventful and that the pilots report the engine has performed flawlessly thus far.

Many others have analyzed the design specs and speculated on the DA50's place in the market, so I will just offer a few observations.
20220304-IMG_7503.jpg
The slotted flaps look like a great feature: that's a LOT of flap. Presumably this was mandated by the need to reduce stall speed for certification; the flaps appear to be robust and well executed. Slotted flaps like this could be a nice addition to the DA42/62, improving runway performance and allowing operation from shorter fields, as well as reducing kinetic energy in an emergency landing.
20220304-IMG_7501.jpg
The new winglet is well proportioned and looks at home at the end of the wing, unlike (IMO) the DA42's winglet. It doesn't show in these photos well, but the joint between the wing center section and the outboard wing panel is a bit awkward, visually. It looks rather like someone didn't get the dimensions of the attachment cross section quite right, since there is a distinct stepdown in size between the 'fatter' center section and the outboard panel.

I was told by the Premier sales reps in attendance (neither of whom had flown the DA50) that the ailerons are quite stiff in flight, and that ground handling is difficult: it shares its gear design with the DA62, and without differential thrust to assist it takes a lot of pedal effort to bring the nose wheel out of its centering detent.
20220304-IMG_7498.jpg
The cockpit will make a DA62 pilot feel at home. There are only a few unfamiliar switches and knobs, and one fewer power lever, engine start button and engine master switch. The big blue LEVEL button is comforting. The fuel system controls are a bit puzzling: the selector valve has ON, OFF and Emergency positions; and there's a Fuel Transfer knob at the bottom left on the panel. Somebody who's studied the AFM will be able to explain what's going on here.

The big strut that divides the view forward is structural: the heavy CD-300 engine is hung way out there and needs the support. The windscreen is a single piece, just like the DA62's; the strut is actually spaced a few millimeters aft of the acrylic.

I didn't take a photo out to the side from the pilot's seat, but compared to the 62's limited view (due to the position of engines and wing), the view forward and down from the 50's pilot seat is wide open, at least for a low-wing aircraft. The pilot's eye position is only a few inches behind the wing's leading edge.

Note the control stick in the photo: it's fully aft. That's the resting position of the elevator system and it's a little awkward. Move the stick and let go, and it just returns to this spot. This is unlike the DA62, which at rest allows you to position the stick basically anywhere you want for ease of ingress and egress.

Finally, note the DE-ICE INOPERATIVE sticker; since the Swiss pilots weren't around to answer questions, I don't know what the story is there.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Re: Quick trip to see the Earthrounder DA50 RG

Post by photoSteveZ »

I forgot to mention that the right side second row window is now a removable escape hatch.