Mc Elroy (20V) or Central Colorado (AEJ) experience?

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Mc Elroy (20V) or Central Colorado (AEJ) experience?

Post by smoss »

I am planning a trip to Breckenridge, CO this summer, and am looking for an alternative to Eagle County (EGE) to fly into. I flew to EGE a few years back, and had a far less than stellar experience. Neither 20V nor AEJ have standard rental cars available, but do have some FBO cars or rentals from an off-brand place a ways away available. Wondering if anyone here has ever flown to either? Thanks.
Steve
DA40 XL
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Re: Mc Elroy (20V) or Central Colorado (AEJ) experience?

Post by janders »

@photoSteveZ was recommending KAEJ as a location for a Diamond fly-in earlier this year...
photoSteveZ wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:52 pm How about Colorado for a summer fly-in? Doesn't get much more central for the Lower 48 + Canada's southern tier. I'm thinking specifically of KAEJ, Central Colorado Regional in Buena Vista. While it is a high-altitude field (7950' MSL: check density altitude!) with higher terrain east and west, it's in the flat bottom lands of the Arkansas River valley, and has good VFR approaches plus an RNAV instrument approach; the runway is 8300' x 75' of good asphalt and on arrival you can always follow the river from the lower terrain of the Great Plains, without having to climb above 10,000'. There's a good amount of transient ramp space, both 100LL and Jet-A fuel, and an accommodating FBO. For places to stay try Mt. Princeton Hot Springs Resort just up the road or the Surf Hotel & Chateau in Buena Vista, which has has a thriving old town center with lots of restaurants and shops. Salida's airport, KANK is in a similar location about twenty miles south, for overflow ramp space, if needed.

Did I mention it's in the Colorado high country, featuring spectacular mountain scenery and gorgeous summer weather, with lots of outdoor recreation activities: hiking, rafting, kayaking, scenic drives, etc.

Since the Western summer wildfire season usually cranks up in July these days, and the smoke tends to obscure the views, it would be best to schedule a fly-in before the middle of July.
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Steve, Kremmling (20V) is closer by road, and the drive is essentially flat (or as flat as you can get in the CO high country). The drive from Buena Vista (AEJ) to Breckenridge is beautiful, but somewhat longer and requires going over one big pass…albeit on very good roads. In my opinion, AEJ has better facilities and better approaches (and a longer, wider runway).

By flying up the Colorado River you can get to Kremmling without having to cross any high passes, while there is a crap ton of cumulogranite between your home airport and AEJ through southwestern Colorado.

You’ll have a great time in my beautiful state, either way.
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Thanks Steve! I will be fully loaded, so it looks like AEJ may be the better choice with its nearly 3K ft longer runway, although 20V is still doable. I spoke with the company that delivers cars to AEJ, and it sounds easy enough to have a car delivered there, whereas 20V has FBO rental cars now. Sounds like a coin toss. The Kremmling FBO did comment to me though when I asked about the weather, that they had a lot of mosquitos in the summer... :shock:
Steve
DA40 XL
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

It’s surprising that 20V has FBO rental cars. It’s really a small-town airport.