3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: CGKMA
Airports: CYOW

Prop governor jammed

Post by gcampbe2 »

After first experiencing this problem about 6 weeks ago, my DA40NG has been again grounded with failed ECU tests during run up. A normal ECU test proceeds as follows:

1) RPMs increase to about 1900.
2) RPMs temporarily decrease by about 100 RPM before recovering to 1900.
3) Engine goes to idle and repeats steps one and two, presumably for the other ECU.

For me the issue was that the temporary decrease in RPM during step 2 was not occurring. Having spent the morning with a mechanic troubleshooting the issue, I now understand that step 2 is a test of the prop governor changing the pitch of the propellor (which should cause the RPMs to drop temporarily). You can see this in this diagram on the right side, third step:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/19282 ... l?page=353

In my case the error code actually indicates that the prop governor is jammed. Apparently there is a special tool that one needs to adjust the prop governor, and we are now awaiting on that tool being shipped from Diamond so we can investigate if adjusting the prop governor will resolve the problem.

Sharing just in case some of you fellow Austro owners wondered like me exactly what went on during the ECU test. Also interested if anyone else has experienced issues with their prop governor.

Regards,
Greg
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Re: Prop governor jammed

Post by Davestation »

I suggest adjusting both stops while you're at it. MT SL71-3