Garmin Pilot (Android) Flight Plan Issue

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Garmin Pilot (Android) Flight Plan Issue

Post by Tim H »

I am using the Android version of GP. It seems I am unable to file "Direct" in the flight plan (using Leidos).

Under "Trip Planning" and "Routing" GP won't accept "Direct".

It says "The route you entered cannot be resolved by Garmin Pilot. While you can still attempt to file, you will be unable to get a briefing or view the NavLog"

Also, when type in "Direct" GP deletes the "Time Enroute" and won't accept a new "Time Enroute". (When I enter a time it goes back to "---" when I get out of the keypad).

If I leave the "Routing" blank, it will file a flight plan, but what is the route? Is the default "Direct"?

I talked to Garmin and they indicated this is the way the software is supposed to function.

I'm thinking if I leave the "Routing" blank, I may get some other routing besides "Direct". Out here in the midwest, I always file direct and I always get direct. So, I typically take off VFR and pick up my clearance in the air. My concern is that if I leave it blank, I will take off expecting to get a "cleared direct" but actually get assigned a complex route because I left the route up to ATC.

I can see the "ATC Proposed Route Notifications", and sometime "Direct" is listed but many times it's not.