Recommended Your Service Center?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

robottwo
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Daniel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N520DA
Airports: KFRG

Post by robottwo »

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations on a service center in the northeast USA. I can see the list of possible centers at https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/serv ... locations/, but I'm particularly looking for people's personal experiences and which centers they would recommend personally.

For example, I recently had to stop at Premier in West Palm Beach for an unexpected issue, and I was extremely impressed with their chief mechanic and overall level of service. I would absolutely go there, but it's too far of a trip from the NY area to make it my regular shop.

Thanks!
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: Recommended Your Service Center?

Post by mhoran »

I've had such mixed experience with local service centers that I make a yearly trip to SouthTec in North Carolina. It's a bit of a haul but there are quite a few of us in the area that do this. It can be done in a single leg and it's easy to get back from Charlotte. Given how many of us do this you may be able to catch a ride back (I did this two weekends ago.)

Locally I've gone to Paragon at Caldwell, and Take Flight (which you know...) Paragon is fine, but expensive. Their expense makes the trip to NC worth it. I don't believe they have Austro experience, though.

There's apparently a service center at Lincoln Park but I've been unable to get a PIREP. Their prices were reasonable when I reached out, but I've had such mixed experience I won't try a shop without a first hand recommendation.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

I've also heard good things about Three Wing, but their pricing blew even Paragon out of the water (flat rate for just the inspection on a DA40 was $5000 when I reached out last year.)

There's also Fly Advanced at Lancaster. Again I've heard good things and they seem to be very busy. So busy that I haven't been able to try them myself (two week lead time when I was already at LNS for avionics work -- just to check my spark plugs.)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I really liked my 100hr oil change experience at Take Flight. And the shop on the field at Norwood has also been good.

If you would like your plane flown down to FTW to Premiere's Texas shop I'd be happy to do it.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
robottwo
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Daniel
Aircraft Registration: N520DA
Airports: KFRG

Post by robottwo »

Fwiw, i have a DA62, so definitely need someone with Austro experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnrschaefer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N669PS
Airports: KJYO

Post by Johnrschaefer »

Very happy with last year's annual at Classic Aviation (SHD) for my DA40XL - will return this year. Don't know about Austro experience, though.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

SouthTec in NC have treated me very very well since I have started taking my plane there. I've been through a couple of Austro related MSB/ADs and an annual, in all three visits. They definitely have Austro experience and I think more importantly seem to have hotlines and good relations with the Toronto HQ.
As Matt said there seems to be a steady stream of us heading down there from points North. I'm out of KFCI (Richmond VA) and have recently retired. I'd be happy to help shuttle if I'm able, sooner or later I'll need the return favor. All we can do is try :)
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

I saw that Richard Tyrer brought his DA42 to SouthTec from Europe (!) to have ferry tanks installed prior to turning around and heading eastbound on his round-the-world flight. They must be doing something right.

On this side the Mississippi, I’ve had my 62 serviced at Arapahoe Aero in Denver and Premier in Ft Worth. Both are good shops, and but Premier gets the nod for being easier to schedule and having more experience with 62s and Austro engines. Arapahoe has responded well with my AOG issues, but tends to be backed up with work (mostly on other manufacturers’ aircraft) and books months ahead for routine maintenance. Premier works almost exclusively on Diamonds and their head of maintenance, David Seastead has been a valuable resource when issues crop up.
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

I like Midwest Avtech in Peru, IL. For me it’s worth the 2 hr flight (and 6 hr drive home) from Minneapolis. My plane is there for its annual now.
TCAviation
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Craig
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N922JM
Airports: KANE

Post by TCAviation »

Howdy from Twin Cities Aviation... I wanted to let you all know that our crew is now factory trained on the Diamond Single and Multi Engine airframes, and Austro AE300 & AE330. Our shop is a part 145 Repair Station. We are located in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis & St Paul at the Anoka County Airport (Janes Field - KANE). Feel free to give us a ring if you need any service on your DA Series aircraft. 763-784-9165 is our main number.